New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Does the iBoook G4.....?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

X Im just meE o

I basically... I wanted to ask you....

Does it scratch easily, and is there a way to remove the scratches if so?
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Errrm... yes & no:

The case is made of some sort of plastic with a scratch resistant coating (I believe anyway)

But it IS more scratchable than a powerbook for example.
But because it's white and shiny, you can't really see any scratches unless you look at it against the light.

Scratches can be removed will any abrasive polish (search for iPod scratch removers - they'll get the job done, or for a cheaper solution try Brasso)

But I have a sleeve to put mine in when I'm carrying it round, and I haven't got any scratches so far (5 months old)
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

I bought some of that iPod polish to remove the scratches from my iPod, I wasn't impressed with the results.
QUOTE Thanks
code777

my iBook is only one month old and its scuffed to __(on the bottom) and the top has a few scuff marks. Not much you can do about it. I tried my hardest to keep it from getting scuffed but hey, as long as it works and not gashed to pieces! Again, you can't really see scuff marks unless you hold it against the light, then you'll see them.

My friend's Powerbook is pretty dinged up and scratched but he is in a traveling band and his stuff gets abused pretty bad he said. But his PB is running strong so far. But his has some VERY obvious scratches, dings, scuffs, cracks! so...

oh and that stuff for the iPod DOES NOT WORK so don't waste ur money. There are other ways to get scuffs out but I just feel it gives the book more character and well, can't really see them...
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Well there are several different iPod scratch removers out there, but as I said in my original post, just get a bottle of brasso (no kidding!) and use that to polish your iBook if you really can't stand the scratches.

It basically removes some of the plastic around the scratches so that it blends in more...
QUOTE Thanks
X Im just meE o

I heard of sleeves, on other forums on Mac-Forums.com, and.... Do you know of any other sites for the iBook Sleeves? and are these sleeves protectable?
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

I always thought the Shinza sleeve was pretty kewl
http://shinza.com/product_info.php?products_id=45

That 'Shock Absorbion Comparison' that is on their website sold me.
QUOTE Thanks
X Im just meE o

Eh..... Any others?
QUOTE Thanks
iWhat

iWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!

I tried Brasso on my iBook, but it only works with hair line scratches. So beware of those deep scratches. Brasso does make the iBook a bit more glossier afterwards, when it's been a while since you've had your iBook.
QUOTE Thanks
X Im just meE o

Basicaly, I only want to know, if its going to scratch easily. Is it? Or, is it like regular Notebooks such as Hp?
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

I'd say it's like regular notebooks, but because of the elegant, clean, white surface, you tend to notice it more...

Normally you wouldn't mind, but because it's such a clean design you want to keep it perfect.

It's not a big deal though, seriously...
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

www.marware.com

didn't I post this link in another thread you already posted on?

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
tritonxiv

Ok buddy here's the deal. The iBook does scratch, however brasso polish will get the scratches out, and even the deep ones will practically dissapear with a little elbow grease.

One thing however I think I should mention is the iBook's brute ruggedness. D*mn, this little guy should have been dead long ago. Just today it got slamed to the floor when my foot got snagged on a hanging iPod cable. It went down hard on metal, and wood, got a few heavy battle scars (later removed by brasso) The iPod cable connector got ripped out and was bent and ruined but the actual usb port on the ibook still looks great and works fine. I let out a scrream of death when this thing fell, and this is coming from a guy that's already banged his 'book around a fair share. This was a hard hit....any other laptop (dell hp ect) would have been history. Not this bad a** little mutha. He's still working wonders, even as we speak (i'm typing this on the iBook in question) Also the screen dosent seem to scratch at all in comparison to most pc brands.

So what I'm saying is if you want a laptop for the long run, the iBook is the way to go.
QUOTE Thanks
code777

well to be fair i dropped my Sony VAIO once down a flight of stairs and it still worked but within a month things went bad, the screen started to go white and fade in and out so I knew it was done. After that my brother gave me his entry level Toshiba Sat. the thing scratched like mad and you could see it since it was black. I never thought of using brasso, interesting!
QUOTE Thanks
X Im just meE o

Hm...., tritonxiv.... Could you take pictures of your iBook and send them too me? I would love to see how tough this thing realy is. ^^
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 12' vs 12' | Extra Battery Needed - Suggestions? »