New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

12' and 14'

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

oldnews

oldnews is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 2.0ghz, Ibook G4 1.33ghz, Powerbook Lombard 333mhz

I have read everything I could find on the 12' and 14' ibooks. And it seems I am not the only one having a hard time making the decision of which one to get. The only big difference between the two I keep hearing is the weight issue. Is the 14' that much heavier in person? Is the extra pound that bad?

Because I am thinking of getting the Ibook G4 14' Ill mainly be using it for internet/mail plus using adobe photoshop etc. So I think it's my best bet.
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

yea, the pound isnt a huge difference, I dont have an ibook, but have carried many, its not that much difference, but it also depends on the individual, Im about 6 ft tall, 220 lbs, and can easily lift fresh 150 to 175 lbs, my hand weighs more than a pound, so a pound isnt a lot to me, but it may be for someone else, depends on the individual, also depends on if youll carry it in a case, a case of some kind.
QUOTE Thanks
oldnews

I probably won't even carry it around that much, probably sit on my desk most of the time and if I feel like relaxing on the couch with it, sitting on my lap.
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

The only way I would spend more on a 14in over a 12in is if it came with a screen that supported 1400x1050.
QUOTE Thanks
X Im just meE o

I think if you can't really spend that much, you should get the 12", but the 14" looks pretty good to get if it is basically for the home. I'm getting the 14" probably, which it says below. But... I have to see if I really want it, I'm going to the Apple retail store this week, probably. You should go to an Apple store near you, if you want to test them out or just see them in person.
QUOTE Thanks
immdb

immdb will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook

I doubt that an additional pound will make any difference for you. (unless you have trouble carrying 6 pounds)

As for me, I got the 14" because of the extra real estate. I suggest that you spend a little extra for a bigger screen, faster processor and a larger HD.

I tried to weigh my hand, but that's that's more difficult than you think
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

I went for the 12" as portability is an issue for me - I need to take my iBook to university nearly every day, so it's not just a matter of weight (some textbooks weigh as much as my iBook) but of size.

The 12" looks and feels like a heavyish textbook, along with all the others in my bag. I can take a large rucksack, or a small messenger bag and the iBook fits fine. The 14" would take up a lot more space and I'd always have to take my larger rucksack to transport it, which might make me think twice about taking it in at all (even though I can get a lot more done when I take my iBook in with me..)

So I got the 12"...it's all about your usage requirements...
QUOTE Thanks
oldnews

Quote:
Originally Posted by immdb
I doubt that an additional pound will make any difference for you. (unless you have trouble carrying 6 pounds)

As for me, I got the 14" because of the extra real estate. I suggest that you spend a little extra for a bigger screen, faster processor and a larger HD.

I tried to weigh my hand, but that's that's more difficult than you think
Do you find your 14' Ibook to heavy? Or did you expect it to weigh as much as it did?
QUOTE Thanks
code777

My friend has the 14 and I have the 12 and to be honest, i don't see any big difference in weight at all. screen size yes but it all depends on if you want that extra 2" of space. Again on the 12 you can adjust sizes but you'll have to scroll more on certain webpages. My friend went for the 14 because he needed a DVD burner on the go. He has a desktop (iMac G4) but recently he has been mobile a lot because of his new sales job. For him he has never owned a screen less than 15" so he said he'd never use a 12 as its tiny to him.

Again its your needs and what amount you want to spend. I find the 12 good but of course I'd love to get a 15" PB!
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by code777
Again on the 12 you can adjust sizes but you'll have to scroll more on certain webpages.
Nope, the screen resolution is the same. The 12in is going to show just as much of a webpage as the 14in.
QUOTE Thanks
code777

really? because my friend and i compared them this past weekend and for whatever reason mine I had to scroll to the right more to see more and his showed the whole page.

then again my fonts are increased so maybe that has something to do with it?
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

Quote:
Originally Posted by code777
then again my fonts are increased so maybe that has something to do with it?
Yeah that most likely does.
QUOTE Thanks
oldnews

So would most of you get the 14' Ibook if it was the same price as the 12'?
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldnews
So would most of you get the 14' Ibook if it was the same price as the 12'?
Yeah.
QUOTE Thanks
code777

I think if the 14" was the same price as the 12" and had the same specs i might go with the 14" just because of the extra real estate. BUT after using the 12 for over a month I really like it and am use to it. The screen seems sharper than my friends 14 and its proportioned better IMO. But again if they were the same price I probably would go with the 14.

the apple store in my area has told me the iBook 12" is the fastest seller and the most popular model. It outsells the 14".
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Port 3689 being blocked by Firewall? HUH??????? | Video Card for the G4 ibook 1GHz »