New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - Disgusted with the MBP audio quality

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

weste47

weste47 is on a distinguished road

I can't believe how ridiculous it is that apple produces a "top of the line" laptop, for such a high price that has such ridiculous audio problems. Pop's/R2D2 noises and static plague headphones and the speakers of the laptop. If they are going to be making an update to fix this they better get there a#@'s moving because when you pay that much for a laptop, and the audio quality is worse than a $500 dollar laptop somethings wrong...

edit: just to clarify, I am talking about the 2.4 and 2.5ghz penryn macbook pro's.
QUOTE Thanks
lifeafter2am

lifeafter2am is a jewel in the roughlifeafter2am is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Unibody

I have NEVER had that happen on my MBP. I use the audio output hooked up to my surround sound system and use it pretty much all day.

masakatsu agatsu

@lifeafter2am
QUOTE Thanks
Nor Cal Nomad

Nor Cal Nomad is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2008 MacBook Pro 15.4" 2.4GHz 4GB, 19in Viewsonic LCD, Mac Alum keyboard, Razer Diamondback 3G

Yeah idk what your talking about...my MBP's audio sounds great w/ my stereo hooked up, headphones, and internal speakers.

Bring it in maybe?
QUOTE Thanks
weste47

I don't see how you or anyone wouldn't notice the sound. http://discussions.apple.com/thread....576&tstart=135 . It seems a lot of people have this problem. Maybe your one of the lucky ones without it but, it is really ridiculous that this is happening with a $2500 dollar laptop.
QUOTE Thanks
Nor Cal Nomad

Nor Cal Nomad is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2008 MacBook Pro 15.4" 2.4GHz 4GB, 19in Viewsonic LCD, Mac Alum keyboard, Razer Diamondback 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by weste47 View Post
I don't see how you or anyone wouldn't notice the sound. http://discussions.apple.com/thread....576&tstart=135 . It seems a lot of people have this problem. Maybe your one of the lucky ones without it but, it is really ridiculous that this is happening with a $2500 dollar laptop.
hey dude just cause something is expensive doesn't mean that it's perfect...you ever had to service a bmw, porsche, or any other european car for that matter?
QUOTE Thanks
TheTrueMoron

TheTrueMoron is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro 4GB Ram, LED HD display, 200GB 7200RPM HD, 2.6GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Macbook 2.4Ghz

I agree with the OP. The random sounds it makes sometimes are horrid. It usually does this after I've been playing music or watching a video on YouTube, but it never does it while I'm listening. Usually when I'm surfing in Safari it will sound like a commercial jet is flying overhead or someone is taking a shower right in front of me. Luckily, this only happens when plugged into external speakers and so far not with the built in ones. I didn't read the other thread but I believe I heard somewhere that this is caused by a design flaw in the logic board, which is sad because MBPs have been doing this since their release and you would think Apple would have fixed this by now.

Personally I think that a computer of this caliber should have a separate sound card rather than integrated one. I can't watch DVDs in high quality sound without buying an external sound card but I can't afford one of those because I spent all my money on this computer. If they make a computer with an HD screen, it should have the HD sound to match. I know I've whined plenty in this post but let's be honest with ourselves, Apple hasn't done anything to fix this and that is a poor way to earn customer satisfaction.
QUOTE Thanks
NPuter

NPuter is a jewel in the roughNPuter is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP

One of the things that I dislike the most on my Macbook Pro is the popping noises the speakers make even when muted...

Whenever my computer is muted and something regarding a sound happens, the speakers pop loudly. When I am working on something other than my computer, I mute the sound to prevent it from grabbing my attention. Well... This does not work because, when muted, the speakers still make noise when something happens diverting my attention from whatever I was working on...

However, the popping noises are the only problems I'm having. This audio quality is great on this computer!

This is very annoying and is probably one of the only things that I do not like on my Macbook Pro...

"The forums are not only a place to have questions answered, they are a place to be part of a community..."
QUOTE Thanks
lifeafter2am

After you clarification I think it may be because I have one of the early models of the MBP. Indeed I have even used the internal sound card when in a bind DJ'ing. Like if I forgot my MOTU or something.

masakatsu agatsu

@lifeafter2am
QUOTE Thanks
weste47

Argggg, this is so frustrating. I am going to take this stupid mbp in after it already replacing my last one which made clicking noises on the right side. Whenever I play music or have recently played music while using headphones there is a static buzzing type sound that is quietly in the background. I compared it with my ipod and it's awful... honestly $2500 for this!?
QUOTE Thanks
a4 abt

a4 abt is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 2.53Ghz, 4GB ram, 500gb hd -- Apple TV 160gb -- MacMini 1.83ghz

My MBP has static noise when headphones are hooked up. Other than that, the sound is perfect on the speakers/external speakers. I can live with the headphone static noise, mostly because it's an intermittent issue. I don't know of any notebook which has an optical audio output, which is a great feature for audiophiles!!
QUOTE Thanks
weste47

I know, it's just pretty annoying. Do you think an update might fix this?
QUOTE Thanks
weste47

hey just a quick question. If i got an external soundcard like.. so http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...9&sku=A0634676 . Would this prevent those nasty static sounds.
QUOTE Thanks
blackhand

blackhand is on a distinguished road

Hmm I have an 08 MBP and I haven't noticed any of this. I wonder if I'm lucky or it got fixed.
QUOTE Thanks
lifeafter2am

Quote:
Originally Posted by weste47 View Post
hey just a quick question. If i got an external soundcard like.. so http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...9&sku=A0634676 . Would this prevent those nasty static sounds.
Yeah it should because you are not using the internal sound card anymore, so it should bypass any problems that are present in it.

masakatsu agatsu

@lifeafter2am
QUOTE Thanks
iPodAddict181

iPodAddict181 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15in 2008 MacBook Pro, 2.4Ghz

ive never had any problem with my MBP audio, id probably take it in, its probably just a manufacturing problem and they could try to replace any faulty parts, apple is pretty good with customer service.

Who are you?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Hosed by MacConnection... | Speck "See Through" MBA Hard Cover »