New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - Adding RAM

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

XXBobbXX

XXBobbXX is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.4GHz 200GB Hard Drive 4GB Ram

Hi i just purchased a MacBook Pro im running 2.4GHz and a 200GB hardrdrive with 2GB of RAM to put it short and I was wondering if i can just add one more stick of 2GB RAM and it equal 4GB or will i have to buy two sticks of 2GB RAM? Like I said I'm really new to this so thanks for the help.
QUOTE Thanks
Haw-Ky

Haw-Ky is on a distinguished road

I think it comes with 2 sticks of 1GB. So you will have to buy 4GB.
QUOTE Thanks
ATLienGeorgia

ATLienGeorgia is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 2.4GHZ PROCESSOR / 4GB RAM / 200GB HHD - iPhone 3G 16GB Black

Yes, it comes with both slots filled with 1GB each. You need to buy a 4GB kit. Here is a link to my blog entry about my RAM upgrade on my MBP:

http://atlchris.com/51/4gb-ram-upgrade-on-macbook-pro/

ATLChris

http://www.ATLChris.com <--- Check out my personal blog!
QUOTE Thanks
XXBobbXX

XXBobbXX is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.4GHz 200GB Hard Drive 4GB Ram

oh ok thanks for the help and for the link to the newegg site im definitely investing in that
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

Good thread. Saves me from posting an identical one...

My question is, what is the best performing type of RAM which the MacBook Pro will be able to accept ? Is it DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) or will it also accept DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) ? Nevermind, I just looked at newegg and saw that the PC2 6400's are also compatible.

The next question is, are they worth getting ? Is the performance over the 5300's that significant ? After rebate, these Mushkins are $64 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820146684
QUOTE Thanks
robvstheocean

robvstheocean is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, Intel 2.5GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 200G 7200 HD, Logic Studio, OS X10.5.4

if your interested in RAM this site might help.

http://www.memorydeal.net/apple-macb...gb-2gb-1gb.php

From what ive learned from their site and others is that they cut out the middle man and you essentially get the same memory that apple uses OEM for super cheap. The memory i saw there was micron which apple does use. It seems legit. Micron is also what Crucial is before they rebrand it and mark it up.
QUOTE Thanks
WakeCarver

WakeCarver is a jewel in the roughWakeCarver is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD

The memory Apple uses in their laptops is the exact same that Dell, HP, etc.. use in their laptops. It is made by hynix. I have a MBP running a 4GB G.SKILL kit from newegg and it works great. My mom also has a similar kit in her mac mini and I put one in a friends macbook.

"I call this the Greatest Zooks Album." -CEREAL KILLER
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Replacement LCD? | help with battery/no battery usage »