New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - Advantages of MacBook over MacBook Pro

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Oistrakh

Oistrakh is an unknown at this point

What are some advantages of owning a macbook instead of a macbook pro?
QUOTE Thanks
nZa

nZa has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2.8Ghz MBP

erm.. they're cheaper?

edit: then again, i guess that's an advantage to buying one, not necessarily owning one.

i'm out of ideas.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Lower cost, Smaller footprint, different keyboard (Some people really love the keyboard on the Macbook a lot more than the MBP's).

Otherwise can't think of much else.
QUOTE Thanks
Xer

Xer is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac Aluminum 24", MacBook White

Actually the differences are a lot more than that, but it basically depends on your uses.

The macbook is a lot more cheap, but also is much more compact the a MBP, meaning if you traveling with your laptop, the macbook is much more efficient.

But otherwise the macbook screen is much smaller than the MBP's and is less comfortable when it comes to creative production (such as graphics, music production, etc...).

By performance, the macbook will fit anything you want unless it's some heavy weight stuff like pro music editing or some serious graphic design (the only real difference is the processors!!).

For games the macbook can't compete with the MBP only cause of the video card.

So if you like the affordability, mobility and performance for basic stuff and up, go for the macbook (I work with a 2.16Ghz 3GB-RAM macbook and it runs Photoshop, dreamweaver, World of Warcraft, and everything perfectly!).

If you want better performance, games and willing to pay $500+ more, just go for the MBP.

Erez
QUOTE Thanks
Oistrakh

well, I think the Macbook is a more attractive looking laptop than the Macbook Pro

And supposedly the Macbook Pros get hotter faster and overheat more because of the aluminum design.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

I'm not sure if they overheat due to the aluminum (which should shed heat better than plastic actually) but because of the aluminum housing you sure feel it more on your lap

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
theonegod

theonegod has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro

They don't overheat.
QUOTE Thanks
NPuter

NPuter is a jewel in the roughNPuter is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP

Quote:
Originally Posted by theonegod View Post
They don't overheat.
Technically they don't 'overheat' they just get really hot...

"The forums are not only a place to have questions answered, they are a place to be part of a community..."
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

dent proof.

smaller.

some have said that the plastic might allow the wireless networking to work better/faster than in the mbp, but afaik that's just anecdotal.

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
Oistrakh

How does the MBP matte screen compare with the MB screen?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oistrakh View Post
How does the MBP matte screen compare with the MB screen?
The Mac Book Pro and Mac Book Air use LED screens. They are much brighter than the LCD's used on the Mac Books. I am not just saying this because I read it somewhere either. I went to Frys and compared them side by side. AMAZING difference. That is something I forgot to post earlier.

Much brighter and better viewing angle.
QUOTE Thanks
rich6490

rich6490 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 2.5ghz, 4gb/r, 200g7.2krpm

I just got my Macbook Pro, I love it, I work everyday with the Macbooks and like those too. Basically the Pros of a MBP over a MB are,

Video Card
Higher Powered Processor Configurations
LED Backlit Screen's
Larger Screen sizes, 15.4" or 17"
Keyboard (some may like the MB keyboard better, but I love the MBP's traditional keyboard it feels great)
Backlit KB
Speakers are a little beefier than MB's
Aluminum (personal preference)

The pros of the MB over the MBP are,

Portability (Big one)
Keyboard (personal preference)
Significant Price difference (another big one for most!)
Magnetic Screen "latch" (way better than those little metal latches)

Let me know if I missed anything, but I love the Macbooks and I love my new Macbook Pro!!!

-Zach, A.C.T.
QUOTE Thanks
Oistrakh

OK, another question

My brother uses a Sharp LD23SH1U LCD-TV as his monitor, and its absolutely stunning (extremely bright)... Is the Macbook Pro Matte screen as bright as that of this Sharp monitor?

EDIT: The Sharp monitor, from amazon, has "500 cd/m2 Brightness", w/e that means
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric View Post
dent proof.

smaller.

some have said that the plastic might allow the wireless networking to work better/faster than in the mbp, but afaik that's just anecdotal.
I get a transmit rate of 130 through a brick wall though with my MBP. Can't imagine the aluminum is hurting it that much

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
rogerinlondon

rogerinlondon will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacPro 2,66GHz 10GB RAM NV 8800GT Cinema 30" * MBP 15" Glossy 2.33 GHz 2 Duo 3GB RAM 160GB HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oistrakh View Post
What are some advantages of owning a macbook instead of a macbook pro?
Better battery life.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« G4 PowerBook Battery Recommendation Needed | Macbook Pro - Extra Battery »