New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - Advantages of MacBook over MacBook Pro

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

drlau9

drlau9 is on a distinguished road

I agree with eric, most communications devices in the world would use a bit of plastic to assist better tx, rx signals. Unless you're facing away from the router the lcd and the plastics part of the screen will enable you to have a better connection. I guess it's only affected a little when you're 10 - 20meters away from the router.

And I always thing the aluminium is trying to let the heat out, unless you have an external heat sink attached to the base of the unit, whatever surface its on is a heat sink.

Derek.
QUOTE Thanks
loganp8000

loganp8000 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Xeon Quad core - 3Macbooks - g4 - g5 -2ipods

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPuter View Post
Technically they don't 'overheat' they just get really hot...
One thing is for sure, I have never seen a macbook damaged from heat or "overheated" but I have a few friends with heat related damages on their pro laptops.
The new macbook is great, and performs well with everything the pro laptops do.
QUOTE Thanks
rich6490

rich6490 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 2.5ghz, 4gb/r, 200g7.2krpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by loganp8000 View Post
One thing is for sure, I have never seen a macbook damaged from heat or "overheated" but I have a few friends with heat related damages on their pro laptops.
The new macbook is great, and performs well with everything the pro laptops do.
What happend to your friends MBP's from heat?

-Zach, A.C.T.
QUOTE Thanks
King Luis

King Luis is on a distinguished road

don't all MB and MBP use the same type of LCD screen now?
QUOTE Thanks
Daves43

Daves43 is on a distinguished road

This may not be considered an advantage but I would be interested in other opinions on this. I own a Aluminum G4 Powerbook which I belive has the same aluminum cover as the MBP. During the winter time there is a lot of static electricity in the air. This actually blew out my sound card as a result of an electrical spark that occurred when I touched the aluminum cover. Now, I have to make sure I ground myself before touching the aluminum case. If not I get zapped with a static spark. Since the Macbook is not metal I assume that toughing the case will not be an issue anymore. Anyone else have or had this problem?
QUOTE Thanks
drlau9

drlau9 is on a distinguished road

That's another thing! Macbooks are plastic so they don't give off static discharge !

Another great reason on getting a macbook (chuckles to himself)

Derek.
QUOTE Thanks
jwilke

jwilke is on a distinguished road

for me personally, the macbook is the perfect choice. i bought the top of the line mb (black) and could buy a 20in monitor and upgrade to 4gb of ram for less than the low-end mbp. the processors and cd/dvd drive are the same, and the mb has a larger hdd. gaming wise, the only gaming laptops i know of are thick, big-screened monsters that have poor portability. i have an xbox 360 for games and so have no need for gaming or the dedicated graphics card. i can easily put my mb in its incase sleeve (which fits perfectly in my backpack) and take it anywhere without worrying about dents.

the bottom line is, if you are going to do PROfessional work with dedicated software (photography, music production, video editing) then the mbp is for you and worth the extra money as it has better speakers, more ports, and the matte screen. for casual needs, (itunes, web browsing, watching movies, some light gaming, iwork or ms office) the mb is perfect.

i compared the two for about a year before deciding on my blackbook, and i am not disappointed and have no buyers remorse, knock on wood 2 inches of screen space and a backlit keyboard are not worth $500 to me.

i hope this helps!

 13" 2.4ghz Peryn BlackBook
 16gb iPod Touch (2.0)
QUOTE Thanks
jwilke

jwilke is on a distinguished road

sorry to double post, but if i could afford it, the middle mbp with a 30in cinema display would be a dream come true. im 18 though and cant afford or justify that much money right now. plus it would be major overkill for my computing needs, just a kind of 'in a perfect world' and or if i was loaded

 13" 2.4ghz Peryn BlackBook
 16gb iPod Touch (2.0)
QUOTE Thanks
Simms

Simms is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" Black MacBook | 2.2GHz Core 2 Duo | 4GB RAM | 160GB HDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilke View Post
for me personally, the macbook is the perfect choice. i bought the top of the line mb (black) and could buy a 20in monitor and upgrade to 4gb of ram for less than the low-end mbp. the processors and cd/dvd drive are the same, and the mb has a larger hdd. gaming wise, the only gaming laptops i know of are thick, big-screened monsters that have poor portability. i have an xbox 360 for games and so have no need for gaming or the dedicated graphics card. i can easily put my mb in its incase sleeve (which fits perfectly in my backpack) and take it anywhere without worrying about dents.

the bottom line is, if you are going to do PROfessional work with dedicated software (photography, music production, video editing) then the mbp is for you and worth the extra money as it has better speakers, more ports, and the matte screen. for casual needs, (itunes, web browsing, watching movies, some light gaming, iwork or ms office) the mb is perfect.

i compared the two for about a year before deciding on my blackbook, and i am not disappointed and have no buyers remorse, knock on wood 2 inches of screen space and a backlit keyboard are not worth $500 to me.

i hope this helps!
Amen to that. Sounds exactly like me. Love my Blackbook it's awesome!
QUOTE Thanks
kovalchuk71

kovalchuk71 is on a distinguished road

You guys are talking about how processors between the MB and MBP are different when they are the same... They both use Core 2 duos and the Top end MB is 2.4 while the MBP is 2.5
QUOTE Thanks
Oistrakh

Oistrakh is an unknown at this point

The MB would probably be the perfect laptop for me, if it weren't for the fact that the screen is so small, compared to what I'm used to (I'm tying this on a 23" SHARP LCD Monitor with 500cd/m2 brightness)
QUOTE Thanks
rianm7

rianm7 is on a distinguished road

One big thing is the dedicated video card. This offers much better performance for applications like Final Cut or Photoshop. The screen is also much brighter, and I say this from experience -- the last time I went to an Apple Store (one week ago) the Macbook screens looked inferior to the MBP in my opinion.

2.2 GHZ 15.4" MBP with NVIDIA GeForce GT 8600 and 2GB RAM

8GB iPod Touch
QUOTE Thanks
Hit

Hit is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook 2.4Ghz

The 13.3" Screen is nice, makes the laptop lots smaller
I prefer 13.3" above 17"
QUOTE Thanks
worldsmediashop

worldsmediashop is an unknown at this point

not that much of a differences.. I sell these laptop .. and customer ask me the same question.. I tell them that there is not a big differences unless you are a professional game player or rgraphic editor ...If you are using for school or work.. then i would buy the macbook .. and if you are looking for either macbook or macpro.. i can help you choose the right one at a low price too.
QUOTE Thanks
Oistrakh

Oistrakh is an unknown at this point

I've also read on here that you can't use the MBP on your lap because it gets too hot. Could you use MB on your lap though? It would really suck if I'm in like an Airport or waiting area and can't use an Apple notebook

Also, when I was comparing MB and MBP at a special Mac store in a hotel, the MB screen seemed brighter than the MBP Matte Screen. This particular store didn't have MBP Glossy Screen. Is the MBP Matte screen supposed to be a lot dimmer than the MB screen?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« G4 PowerBook Battery Recommendation Needed | Macbook Pro - Extra Battery »