Specs:
    iMac Aluminum 24", MacBook White
    Problems with MacBook
    Hey, I have a white MacBook 2.16ghz with 3GB ram.

I have it for 5 months now and lately it started making problems, like, when I open the lid (while the computer sleeps) it gets stuck and i have to turn it off and turn on again, also its very slow lately.

I have to say, it had a OSX 10.4.10 on it and I upgraded it to 10.5 like 4 months ago (not clean install).

Maybe I have to reinstall the OS?

Erez

Specs:
    13" MBP 2.53 DC2, 09 Mini 2.0 DC2, 07 Mini 2.16 DC2, MB 2.0 DC2, iBook G3 900MHz, G4 Sawtooth 1.6Ghz
    people debate this all the time but i believe that a clean/fresh install is the only way to go. i know that many people archive/upgrade install and have no problems but i always opt for the fresh OS install.

Specs:
    iMac Aluminum 24", MacBook White
    Quote Originally Posted by fletch33 View Post
    people debate this all the time but i believe that a clean/fresh install is the only way to go. i know that many people archive/upgrade install and have no problems but i always opt for the fresh OS install.
    I always think like that also, but the real question here is if I really need to do this.

Erez

Thumbs up Macbook Fault
    Hi Xer,

You could try a boot from disk and see if the problem persists, cause you'll be running the os directly off the disk image therefore the system files in the hard drive isn't used. Did it happen recently after you installed something?

Derek.

Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by Xer View Post
    I always think like that also, but the real question here is if I really need to do this.
    I would recommend doing an archive & install. This will retain all of your documents, files, settings and applications, but would basically be a clean install for the OS itself. Standard upgrades to Leopard have proven to be problematic. Also, due to the fact that you've forcibly powered the machine off on so many occasions now, it would be helpful to run a filesystem check. This is done as follows (excerpted from DB's Basic OS X troubleshooting):

Quote Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y
    File System Check - When booting up your computer hold down the Apple Key & the S key and it will boot into single user mode. When the text is done loading on the screen type in /sbin/fsck -f and hit enter.
    When that is done if it fixed things then do the check again to make sure it is cleared
    When finished with that type in exit and it will start the computer in normal mode
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

todd51
    I would have to have a clean install of the OS. I don't think I would ever be able to do an upgrade. Just a personal opinion of course. One of my friends did an upgrade and his MB works just fine.

Thread Information