New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - Oops! Battery Health Question

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

DavidHS

DavidHS is on a distinguished road

After stupidly spilling some water on the bottom right of my Macbook Pro keyboard, I powered down, took out the battery and dried it out for 24 hours.

Having booted successfully (phew) I am now concerned over my battery health, as reported by the iStat Dashboard Widget. You see, the widget reported my health at 62%! This is a sharp drop from the 85 or so % I had before the accident. Now, today, another day later, the battery health reads 55%!! Another 7% drop in one day.

Any speculation as to what is happening? For example, would a new battery fix my problem, or has something else gone screwy that is preventing my computer from taking advantage of my battery's potential? I'm sort of at a loss of what to do now. I am under AppleCare, but I imagine there would be no way to have my machine looked at without having my warranty voided.

Any help anyone had to offer would be most appreciated.

P.S. I am aware of the unforgivable stupidity that is spilling water of a Macbook Pro.

EDIT: Within the last 5 minutes, the health just jumped up to 56%? I wonder what is going on...
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

I suspect this has nothing to do with the spillage; The battery health can bounce around as the battery gets towards the autumn of its life. As you said previously the health was 85%, I am assuming your battery is at least 12 - 18 months old. Try this:

Charge up the battery to about 95%, the remove the power and let it drop to 90%, then put it in again. I have done this before and seen the battery health go from 55% to 83% (which is where it has been for about a year). Mine's had 267 cycles.

The other thing to do is to recalibrate it. Run it down until it goes to sleep, then leave for 5 hours, until the snooze light goes out. Then remove the battery, and hold down the power for at least 10 seconds. Then charge to full.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
DavidHS

DavidHS is on a distinguished road

Hey, thanks! That's a load off of my mind. I thought my computer was skyrocketing towards colossal failure.

I will do everything you suggested, thanks a bunch. My battery is exactly 12 Months Old.

If anyone else has any other insight, feel free to weigh in.

Thanks again!

EDIT: Crawled to 57% before trying anything. Off to do that now.
QUOTE Thanks
Tigerotor77w

Tigerotor77w is on a distinguished road

DavidHS: any improvements?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook OEM Ram Question | How can I tell if my Airport card is faulty? »