New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - 17" vs. 17" hi-res

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jjoeth6

jjoeth6 is on a distinguished road

I'm wondering if anyone can provide more info on the display options for the 17" MacBook Pros. First of all, I'm not interested in glossy, so no need to get into that...

It appears that the standard 17" is 1680x1050, while the hi-res is 1920x1200 and is LED back-lit. I looked at the hi-res in the store, and didn't like how small everthing was. I tried setting the resolution to 1680x1050, but then everything appeared slightly blurry.

Is there a way to get the hi-res crispness from an LED display at 1680x1050?

thanks,
jjoeth6
QUOTE Thanks
RONE

RONE has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB

Wait for Apple to use LED backlighting in all their displays?
QUOTE Thanks
stal1n77

stal1n77 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 15 inch 2.4ghz Peryn 4 gig

I don't really see why scaling down a high rez to 1680 x 1050 would be that much of a different, did you look at the non high rez and the scaled down high rez next to each other to see if there was actual distortion. I mean i bet if i scaled down my screen it would be blurry in comparison. Otherwise wait for apple to get led in all screen sizes, it will probably happen with the next generation mbp which I hope comes out sometime in the next two months.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjoeth6 View Post
I'm wondering if anyone can provide more info on the display options for the 17" MacBook Pros. First of all, I'm not interested in glossy, so no need to get into that...

It appears that the standard 17" is 1680x1050, while the hi-res is 1920x1200 and is LED back-lit. I looked at the hi-res in the store, and didn't like how small everthing was. I tried setting the resolution to 1680x1050, but then everything appeared slightly blurry.

Is there a way to get the hi-res crispness from an LED display at 1680x1050?

thanks,
jjoeth6
No. Simply because the native resolution of the hi-res display is set to 1920x1200 and anything lower or higher will not produce a clear raster. It will either be the wrong aspect ratio or blurry - as you have observed.

If the higher resolution is not satisfactory for your viewing, go with the lower res MBP. You'll also save a few $$$.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
dB-A1

dB-A1 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac BookPro 2.5Ghz, 17"HD, 4GB ram, 200GB 7200rpm

If the size is too small, adjust the display settings to make the icons larger. You also can zoom in inside of applications to make type larger if you need to. The higher resolution will give you HD video playback and more desktop space for applications that require it like video editing or CAD. The clarity is significantly better on the HD 17" in my opinion.

dB

QUOTE Thanks
jjoeth6

jjoeth6 is on a distinguished road

Thanks everyone for the feedback!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MacBook protection | iBook G4 install disc »