New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

PowerBook - G4 PowerBook Locking up or Shut Down Message

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Daves43

Daves43 is on a distinguished road

I am having a problem with my G4 Powerbook either locking up or getting a message telling me I need to restart my computer. This seems to be happening more and more. Recently I checked my hard drive and found there were several errors. When I ran Disk Utility it said it could not be repaired. I just installed a new hard drive and thought my troubles were over. While loading Photoshop the message to reboot came up again. When I rebooted it happened later as well as it locking up. For some reason the computer seems to be running hotter than usual. Does anyone have any suggestions on what might be causing this or is it time for a new comptuer?

Thank you
QUOTE Thanks
stal1n77

stal1n77 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 15 inch 2.4ghz Peryn 4 gig

If it were me I would suspect the ram to be faulty, I have had multiple ram problems. I would recommend using the techtool cd that came with your powerbook, it should have come with the original restore disks. If you don't have that disk then I would suggest just any ram verifier online. But I would run techtool first, it will check more than just ram too. The fact that the computer is running hotter though could possibly be the new drive you put in sometimes different drives run hot, or it could always be something worse.
QUOTE Thanks
Soulwar

Soulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves43 View Post
I am having a problem with my G4 Powerbook either locking up or getting a message telling me I need to restart my computer. This seems to be happening more and more. Recently I checked my hard drive and found there were several errors. When I ran Disk Utility it said it could not be repaired. I just installed a new hard drive and thought my troubles were over. While loading Photoshop the message to reboot came up again. When I rebooted it happened later as well as it locking up. For some reason the computer seems to be running hotter than usual. Does anyone have any suggestions on what might be causing this or is it time for a new comptuer?

Thank you
That would be a kernel panic. And it does usually involve bad ram, but not limited to it. A couple links to look over...
Resolving Kernel Panics

The Apple Hardware Test

When all else fails, try everything!
The Rep System and you.
Life's a joke...If you're not laughing, then you didn't get it.

June 2008

QUOTE Thanks
Daves43

Daves43 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the help and advise on resolving this issue.

Regards,
Dave
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MacBook Memory Upgrade | Help!! Failed hard drive. »