New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - MacBook Memory Upgrade

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MacBookMe!

MacBookMe! is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook

Has anyone used this in a white MacBook?

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...L%20TECHNOLOGY

Is it any good?

I live quite close to NCIX and it would be convenient to pick it up there.

Would it be a noticeable upgrade from the stock 1GB included? I am trying to decide if I should get a bigger hard drive for all my "imported DVDs" (You know what I mean), or if I should get more RAM?
QUOTE Thanks
AngryGreek

AngryGreek is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook C2D 2GHz 2GB RAM 80GB HDD

The upgrade to 3.3GB (the max a Macbook can support) would be quite significant. I haven't personally used the Crucial stuff (Mine is this stuff: Link) but it made a big difference going from 2gb to 3.3GB.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Actually, Santa Rosa Macbooks support 4GB of RAM.

MacBookMe, that RAM will work just fine in a Macbook. Going by your other thread, I'm assuming you'll be sticking this RAM in a brand new Macbook, so you will definitely be able to use all 4GB.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
AngryGreek

Ah, go me. I keep forgetting the new guys take 4GB.

Now I feel inadequate with my 3.3GB.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Don't worry, I'm with ya. I wish I could get 4GB, this 2GB is starting to feel slow

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
MacBookMe!

MacBookMe! is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kash View Post
Actually, Santa Rosa Macbooks support 4GB of RAM.

MacBookMe, that RAM will work just fine in a Macbook. Going by your other thread, I'm assuming you'll be sticking this RAM in a brand new Macbook, so you will definitely be able to use all 4GB.
Yes, I'm getting a new Macbook in about mid-July.
QUOTE Thanks
peter_m

peter_m is on a distinguished road

Hello,

the current lineup of MacBooks are running the latest 800mhz FSB Core 2 Duo and I noticed the RAM they are using is DDR2 667mhz. Is it possible to swap them out with DDR2 800mhz memory modules? The reason being to get a 1:1 ration for FSB and RAM clock. Would it not give a little more speed or is it locked down at 667mhz? Also would it benefit the GPU since it will now share the RAM at a higher clock speed or is the GPU also limited to 667mhz?

If the speed increase is possible, would this be a good candidate?

Peter
QUOTE Thanks
jah

jah will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_m View Post
MacBooks are running the latest 800mhz FSB Core 2 Duo and I noticed the RAM they are using is DDR2 667mhz. Is it possible to swap them out with DDR2 800mhz memory modules?
Peter

last year, while researching, looking for a portable, on a vista dell with the mighty intel Santa Rosa chip set i bought installed the faster ram. the faster memory was remained clocked at 666mhz, the oem speed. seems a bios tweak would be necessary.

i recently updated my macbookpro from 2 to 4g, only 666mhz product tho, bought the stuff from newegg.com because i like their fast reliable delivery. didnt notice a big increase in speed but the VMWare virtual machines (10.5.3 + ubuntu + xp) run more reliable.
QUOTE Thanks
AngryGreek

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_m View Post
Hello,

the current lineup of MacBooks are running the latest 800mhz FSB Core 2 Duo and I noticed the RAM they are using is DDR2 667mhz. Is it possible to swap them out with DDR2 800mhz memory modules? The reason being to get a 1:1 ration for FSB and RAM clock. Would it not give a little more speed or is it locked down at 667mhz? Also would it benefit the GPU since it will now share the RAM at a higher clock speed or is the GPU also limited to 667mhz?

Peter
Yeah, they lock it to 667MHz. The new iMac takes 800MHz SODIMMs though. I would imagine we will see the speed bumped to 800MHz in the next revision of the MB/MBP, but that is just a guess.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Problems with MacBook | G4 PowerBook Locking up or Shut Down Message »