New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

iBook - iBook G4 install disc

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

biscuit

biscuit is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 17" Intel iMac, 12" iBook G4

i tried to do an erase and install on my ibook using the install cd that came with it but the cd was scratched so its only half done it...

does anyone know if i can use the install discs from my iMac to finish it because iv tried several times with the ibook cd but it just wont work...

or is there some magical way to get the scratches out of the cd??

please help!!
QUOTE Thanks
Noels

Noels has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM

biscuit,

Try a light abrasive on the disk, something like tooth paste. The scratch is on the surface and shouldn't hurt the code below it...

If you're still under warranty, I'd call Apple and they may replace it for you. Or take it to an Apple store - before you try to repair it.

I don't believe you can use the iMac disk, but you could try it...

Good luck, Noel
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Skip Doctor works wonders on scratched discs of any kind. Highly recommended.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
stal1n77

stal1n77 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 15 inch 2.4ghz Peryn 4 gig

you cannot use the imac disk to reinstall just to clarify, the imac you have is intel the ibook ppc, plus the disks are machine specific processors aside, so no need to waste time trying.
QUOTE Thanks
biscuit

biscuit is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 17" Intel iMac, 12" iBook G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by stal1n77 View Post
you cannot use the imac disk to reinstall just to clarify, the imac you have is intel the ibook ppc, plus the disks are machine specific processors aside, so no need to waste time trying.
ok thanks for that, i suspected i wouldnt be able to

iv tried toothpaste with no success, i'll take it to apple store on mon and see if they can do anything, if not i'll try that skip doctor thing

thanks everyone for all ur suggestions!
xx
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 17" vs. 17" hi-res | MacBook Screen and brightness »