New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - how do i completely clear my harddrive?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ericboberric

ericboberric is on a distinguished road

i want to completely wipe out my harddrive, how do i do it?
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Pop in your restore discs, hold C as you reboot, and after you select your language in the setup, find Disk Utility at the top menubar. Select your hard drive and hit Format

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
Juan Largo

Juan Largo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

When you say "wipe out" your hard drive, do you just want to reuse the hard drive, or do you want to erase your data so completely that nobody can ever read it again (like you're going to sell the notebook to somebody else)? If it's the second option, then reformatting won't be nearly enough. You want to nuke it instead. There are a number of programs that do that, like this one: http://dban.sourceforge.net/ Let us know.

iMac G3
600 MHz
OS 10.3.9
QUOTE Thanks
Dodger

Dodger is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook white, 2.0 GHz, Intel Core 2 Duo, 80G HDD, 1G RAM

yeah simply formatting it and then leaving it in someone else's hands can be very dangerous... make sure you do a thorough job, and good luck!

"Have a strong base, a witty mind, and a heart that is open but in no way hungry."
QUOTE Thanks
kmkl

kmkl is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iMac 24" 2.4GHz 2GB RAM 320GB HD

I believe Disk Utility offers multiple options for Erasing the HD., and I'm sure you can do it twice or three times just to be sure.
QUOTE Thanks
Noxian

Noxian is a jewel in the roughNoxian is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle

When erasing the disk using the disk Utlity on the OS X install DVDs you can do whats called a Secure Erase which writes 0/1 all over the disk, 1, or 3 or I think more. 3 Passes should be more then enough unless you have sensitive classified info on it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Are these temps too high? | MacBook Pro 17" Backlit LED Screen? »