New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Screen Joint Pops/Squeaks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Kodafox

Hello,
This is kinda a tricky problem to search google or the forums for because you get a lot of random results Anyways I've had my powerbook for about 4 or 5 months now and recently the screen's joint makes a pop noise if I move it after is has been sitting for a while. Once I move it I can open and close it without any popping, until I let it sit for a while again. It also squeaks a bit. Obviously it's caused by some kind of friction... Anyone else have this problem? Anyone have a suggestion about how to go about lubricating the joint or something? Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
tariq

My PowerBook which is about 4months old has the same problem, but it creaks and pops almost everytime I open and close the lid. I'm going to take it in to an authorized dealer and have it fixed once school is over for the semester. It could lead to the hinge getting destroyed/lid breaking if not fixed.
QUOTE Thanks
WineLes

I had the exact same thing happen with my 15" powerbook too. I called Apple and they fixed it as well as the infamous white spots on the screen for free since I was still under warranty. Had my powerbook back in two days. Very fast!! Give them a call.
QUOTE Thanks
Osiris22x

Osiris22x will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)

I really wish a mod would make this a sticky...I've seen this post a million times.

Anyway:
This is a very common issue that affects nearly all Powerbook and some older iBook laptops. It is caused from the expanding and contracting of the materials when the computer is used. The hinge has a "clutch" inside and this mechanism gets stuck. Whttp://www.radtech.us/Products/Glides.aspxhen you overcome it (by pushing harder) you get a nice cracking/popping noise.

Several people (including myself) have approached Apple about this problem, only to be told that it was "within operating specs" despite the fact that the lid was ready to break off. So....here's the solution. I ordered it, used it, and it works *beautifully*. Here, months later, I'm still squeek freek.

http://www.radtech.us/Products/Glides.aspx
(Make sure you order the right one!)

Also note: I had to use it 4 times before it was permanently fixed, you just have to be patient with it.

Roger Michaels
Apple Certified Consultant
QUOTE Thanks
hype.it

hype.it is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!

Actually, if your hinges do make a cracking sound when you open your PowerBook. I would advise you get an Apple Service centre to double check it before your warranty expire. As it could be a physical manufacturing problem and not as Osiris says.

You been warned. Better be safe then sorry. Right?
QUOTE Thanks
Osiris22x

Yes, have Apple look at it first...

Roger Michaels
QUOTE Thanks
SamR

I had this problem also with my 15" PB. I had it sent in for a logic board problem and when it came back the lid was fixed, so I don't know what they did to it but I would definately get it in to Apple while it's under warranty.
QUOTE Thanks
tariq

I just gave in my powerbook to get my hinge fixed, and they called to say that it's not covered under the warranty and that it'll cost $55 for the hinge plus $98 for labour. WTF?!
QUOTE Thanks
tariq

Argh, guess it's acceptable to Apple. Now if the entire hinge breaks and screen gets damaged, who pays for that? I bet it'll be me because of "user fault". Talk about a useless warranty, its a **** hinge for godsakes, fix it under warranty!
QUOTE Thanks
Osiris22x

...or you could just buy the $20 fit-it kit that I mentioned above.

Worked beautifully on my 12" Powerbook, and mine screen was REALLY bad before I fixed it.

Roger Michaels
QUOTE Thanks
tariq

UPDATE: After learning that it wouldn't be covered (and reading how other people had had their hinge fixed on warranty), I called up Apple Tech Support and was told that it would indeed be covered. I told the agent that this wasn't the case for me, but he reassured me that it would be covered and that the service technician was probably uninformed.

Next I called the dealer I originally gave my PowerBook to and talked with the service technician. I asked him why it wouldn't be covered and his only answer was an unsure/sheepish "When I try to order the hinges, Apple is charging me for them..." I told him right away what Apple had said and gave him a case number and long story short; the repair is now covered and will be ready for pickup today evening
QUOTE Thanks
IanCT

IanCT will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4

I recently had this problem and it was annoying for weeks. I was real careful how I opened the screen (and I just bought mine less than six months ago)

After taking it to the Apple Store, they said it had to be sent back to the factory for repair. Unacceptable at the time because I was out of town and needed it.

So, the idea popped into my head about just working the screen back and forth thru the entire range of motion and after about 20 repetitions, it stopped (hinge lubricant worked it's way back in? dunno) And it hasn't made a single noise since. Even on cold mornings.

I was about to order that $18 kit that was mentioned in this thread if this procedure didn't work.
QUOTE Thanks
tariq

I tried doing that before I repaired mine and it made it even worse!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« USB on the right side isn't working. Help! | Any sweet programs to have my ibook running fresh »