Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: POWerrrrBook

  1. #1
    DaveY4311
    Guest
    POWerrrrBook
    Hello,

    I am currently running an imac G4 800MHZ 1024 Ram. I am FCP4 person and a little Photoshop, other than that just word processor and internet.

    Any advice on upgrading to a Powerbook???
    Worth the wait until Jan?

    I am still a little bit in limbo but am leaning toward purchasing the 1.5 15in PB.

    I figure the current version of the Powerbook has been revised a few times and is the best one yet. Kinks are worked out and it seems rock solid. It will blow away my imac, especially if I load it up with 2GB. I am actively editing FCP4 on my imac and have survived up until now - the jump to the powerbook will be nice, it won't be the Dual G5s in the editing studio, but neither would a G5 PB.

    Plus whatever PB comes out in January - G5 or Dual G4 - I won't see it until Feb 1st earliest and it will be more expensive and first generation. I might as well get the PB now with student discount, enjoy it, and revisit the G5 powerbook idea in 2+ years.

    Really, how much difference would I notice between a 1.5MHZ G4 PB or the possible release of a 2.0MHZ G4 or a 2.0MHZ Dual G4 or a 1.5MHZ G5 powerbook?

    -Thanks for the thoughts.

    Dave

  2. #2


    Member Since
    Dec 28, 2003
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    911
    Specs:
    15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
    Well, in my honest opinion, although it looks like you are leaning toward getting it now, I(repeat: I) would wait until new ones come out. The powerbooks are in dieing need of an update(been like 7 months!) and are going to be updated at MWSF(January 05). The update coming is def. going to be a major one. You will be smacking you self in the head when you see those g5 pbs or dual core(NOT dual processor, by the way ) powerbooks for the same price as your g4 one month later....

    WAIT!

    Side Note: I waited to get my g5 and am very pleased that I did! If I hadn't waited(by the way...I waited 6 months!) I would have a Dual 1.8 instead of a 2!

  3. #3

    rman's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 24, 2002
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    12,584
    Specs:
    2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi
    Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by ApplejustWorks
    Well, in my honest opinion, although it looks like you are leaning toward getting it now, I(repeat: I) would wait until new ones come out. The powerbooks are in dieing need of an update(been like 7 months!) and are going to be updated at MWSF(January 05). The update coming is def. going to be a major one. You will be smacking you self in the head when you see those g5 pbs or dual core(NOT dual processor, by the way ) powerbooks for the same price as your g4 one month later....
    Do you have a very reliable source when you say that a G5 powerbook will unveiled in January?

    I can see maybe a dual core G4 processor powerbook, but not a G5 powerbook. I believe that is wishful thinking, even Apple said G5 powerbook will not be available until last 05, early 06.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!

  4. #4


    Member Since
    Dec 28, 2003
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    911
    Specs:
    15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
    No...I'm just speculating..but it def. WILL be either a dual core G4 or a low end G5...I mean...who would have guessed about a g5 iMac?

    It's really nothing you can predict...I mean..(this is going out on a limb now) Apple may have just said that to surprise all of us if they DO introduce a g5 Powerbook...

    It may be "Just one more thing..."

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •