New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

POWerrrrBook

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

DaveY4311

Hello,

I am currently running an imac G4 800MHZ 1024 Ram. I am FCP4 person and a little Photoshop, other than that just word processor and internet.

Any advice on upgrading to a Powerbook???
Worth the wait until Jan?

I am still a little bit in limbo but am leaning toward purchasing the 1.5 15in PB.

I figure the current version of the Powerbook has been revised a few times and is the best one yet. Kinks are worked out and it seems rock solid. It will blow away my imac, especially if I load it up with 2GB. I am actively editing FCP4 on my imac and have survived up until now - the jump to the powerbook will be nice, it won't be the Dual G5s in the editing studio, but neither would a G5 PB.

Plus whatever PB comes out in January - G5 or Dual G4 - I won't see it until Feb 1st earliest and it will be more expensive and first generation. I might as well get the PB now with student discount, enjoy it, and revisit the G5 powerbook idea in 2+ years.

Really, how much difference would I notice between a 1.5MHZ G4 PB or the possible release of a 2.0MHZ G4 or a 2.0MHZ Dual G4 or a 1.5MHZ G5 powerbook?

-Thanks for the thoughts.

Dave
QUOTE Thanks
ApplejustWorks

ApplejustWorks is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD

Well, in my honest opinion, although it looks like you are leaning toward getting it now, I(repeat: I) would wait until new ones come out. The powerbooks are in dieing need of an update(been like 7 months!) and are going to be updated at MWSF(January 05). The update coming is def. going to be a major one. You will be smacking you self in the head when you see those g5 pbs or dual core(NOT dual processor, by the way ) powerbooks for the same price as your g4 one month later....

WAIT!

Side Note: I waited to get my g5 and am very pleased that I did! If I hadn't waited(by the way...I waited 6 months!) I would have a Dual 1.8 instead of a 2!
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApplejustWorks
Well, in my honest opinion, although it looks like you are leaning toward getting it now, I(repeat: I) would wait until new ones come out. The powerbooks are in dieing need of an update(been like 7 months!) and are going to be updated at MWSF(January 05). The update coming is def. going to be a major one. You will be smacking you self in the head when you see those g5 pbs or dual core(NOT dual processor, by the way ) powerbooks for the same price as your g4 one month later....
Do you have a very reliable source when you say that a G5 powerbook will unveiled in January?

I can see maybe a dual core G4 processor powerbook, but not a G5 powerbook. I believe that is wishful thinking, even Apple said G5 powerbook will not be available until last 05, early 06.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
ApplejustWorks

ApplejustWorks is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD

No...I'm just speculating..but it def. WILL be either a dual core G4 or a low end G5...I mean...who would have guessed about a g5 iMac?

It's really nothing you can predict...I mean..(this is going out on a limb now) Apple may have just said that to surprise all of us if they DO introduce a g5 Powerbook...

It may be "Just one more thing..."
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Have you tried... | Apple and Tax? »