New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - Tech question for purchase...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

WRCfan

WRCfan is on a distinguished road

I am about to make the switch from a iBook G4 to the Macbook.

I am wondering about the 2.1 GHz or the 2.4 GHz model. I am not super worried about combo-drives and so on.

Basically I use the computer for browsing net, watching DVD's, chatting and so on. I of course have a digital camera and run iPhoto etc... Do you experts feel that the 2.1GHz with 1GB of ram would run sweet enough? I mean my iBook G4 is running 256MB of ram and does everything I want. Although I wonder if OS X 10.5 take a bit to run memory wise etc...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

WRCfan
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

I have 2GHz model with 2GB of RAM and can do everything you're looking to do with great ease. A 2.1GHz model would work perfectly fine for your needs, there's no need to spend money on the extra horsepower that you won't use.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
skaheadpunk

skaheadpunk has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule

I have a 2GHz and until a few months ago 1GB of RAM - I watch DVDs, browse the net, MSN and Yahoo Messenger, Skype, obsessively play The Sims 2, bit of Photoshop and web design. Never had any trouble.

Upgrading to 2GB was nice but I didn't need it - just wanted it!
QUOTE Thanks
WRCfan

Thanks for the answers! It's good to get opinions. I am putting the order in for the Macbook today. They say it should be here in about 1 week to a week and a half. Can't wait!
QUOTE Thanks
exponent

exponent is on a distinguished road

My combo drive was a little loud at first but after 4 or 5 uses, it started to quiet down. My biggest complaint is the hard drive. I'm getting ready to send my MacBook (Core2Duo - late 2006) for its second repair. The first time, Apple replaced the "snubbers" and bottom plastic and now, they will likely be replacing the hard disk.

Other than that, the MacBook has been flawless. Its great if you have Netflix and "HandBrake" if you're into that kind of thing. Generally, its a near flawless laptop (I'm running 10.5) other than the hard drive issue.

Switched - 11/18/06
Lime iBook Clamshell SE 466mhz - 10.4.11
MacBook Core2Duo 2.0ghz - 10.5.3

Have a clamshell? Visit iBookClamshell.com
QUOTE Thanks
INTELligent

INTELligent can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: Mac Mini

When comparing 2.1Ghz to 2.4Ghz, the difference is not noticeable without the use of benchmarks. And I mean this as a fact, with processor speed differences, you will notice a difference more on a Windows machine than on a Mac machine. I have 1GB of RAM in my Mini and it's plenty for what I am using it for right now and that's just for a little bit of programming, sound editing, and web design. I would consider upgrading the RAM, maybe now or later, it's just a function of time, applications are becoming more resource hungry every day.
QUOTE Thanks
WRCfan

Yeah, at a later date I will upgrade the RAM and so on, although the HD is not a big issue. To go from a 120 to a 160GB HD was going to cost me the same price as I can get a 250GB external for here in Japan. Just looking forward to upgrading from the iBook which has run faultlessly for me and has been a really great little machine!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Confused about Macbook colors... | A few MacBook Pro questions/problems »