New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - Safe Sleep not working

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

StevenH

StevenH is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White Macbook (refurb), 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo, 2 GB Memory, 60GB HDD

I get the usual 'reserve battery power' warning when there's few minutes left before the battery is about to run out. Then, the power cuts. No safe sleep at all; it's as though the battery has been yanked out. When I put the charger in, and start it up again it's as if I've just restarted the computer i.e. it didn't remember my previous state

My HD has got over 10gb free space remaining, so there's definitely enough room for a 'sleep image'.

Has anyone come across this, and does anyone know of any possible fixes?

Thanks in advance.

I'm running 10.5.3 (latest updates), on a Macbook 2GHz Core2Duo, 2GB RAM. Standard/popular applications
QUOTE Thanks
NPuter

NPuter is a jewel in the roughNPuter is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenH View Post
I get the usual 'reserve battery power' warning when there's few minutes left before the battery is about to run out. Then, the power cuts. No safe sleep at all; it's as though the battery has been yanked out. When I put the charger in, and start it up again it's as if I've just restarted the computer i.e. it didn't remember my previous state

My HD has got over 10gb free space remaining, so there's definitely enough room for a 'sleep image'.

Has anyone come across this, and does anyone know of any possible fixes?

Thanks in advance.

I'm running 10.5.3 (latest updates), on a Macbook 2GHz Core2Duo, 2GB RAM. Standard/popular applications
What happened to your computer was normal...

Your battery died. It happens to mine too. OS X really should go into sleep mode at around 3%.

When your computer goes into sleep mode (when you close the lid) the contents of your ram is written to your hard drive. that is the "sleep image"
You'll notice that there is a noticeable time gab between when you close the lid of your computer and when the sleep led starts pulsing... that's the sleep image being written...

if your computer were to run out of battery when it was asleep, the next time you plug it in and turn it on, the sleep image will return and you should not have lost any work...

however, in your case, your computer was turned rather then sleeping when it ran out of battery, therefore there was no sleep image to return to...

now you may be asking, "Why does the computer not make more sleep images (say, every minute) just in case the computer were to turn off."

A sleep image takes a while to be written. In my case with 4gigs of ram it takes 30sec.
So, it would not be practical for OS X to take 30sec to write a sleep image every minute of so...

So there you go
Hope it makes sense

"The forums are not only a place to have questions answered, they are a place to be part of a community..."
QUOTE Thanks
shahvikram123

shahvikram123 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Macbook: 2GHZ Intel C2D, 2 Gig Ram, 80 GB HD. Mac Mini: Intel C2D 2GHZ, 2 gig ram, 120gb HD

This happened to me as well a few months ago, all of a sudden my macbook would not go into safe sleep mode.

I entered this terminal command to enable it again:

sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 3

I'm not sure why safe sleep was disabled but it did, I entered that terminal command and it worked after that.

Note: you may have to restart your mac for the changes to take effect.

Vikram Shah
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Replaced hard drive wondering which data recovery method i should use | a question on MacBook RAM »