New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

g4 ibook startup probs

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

noodle

hello i hope someone can help i have a 12inch g4ibook and although it seems to function ok when it is started i have been having problems making it start. Normally what is happening is that when i press the power switch nothing will happen it wont come on, no sounds or any signs of working, anyway i have found that if i unplug the power supply then remove the battery and then replace and plug in the power supply again then it does work but often the time and date have been reset to 1970etc, this is most frustrating can anyone tell me what is wrong and wether theyres anything i can do to fix it
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

I had that happen to me once or twice a while back, a certain hardware reset combination did it for me...

It was either hold apple and p on startup, or apple, shift and something....

Can't remember it exactly, hold on a sec (scribbled it on some paper here somewhere...)

Nope paper has been trashed... but I have this handy link for you instead which is apple's support document on exactly the kind of problem you have been having...

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=14449

That fixed it for me!

P.S. I don't think that document lists the iBook G4 specifically, but just follow the instructions for the latest Powerbook models right at the bottom of the page...

"PowerBook G4 (12-inch), PowerBook G4 (12-inch DVI), PowerBook G4 (15-inch FW 800), PowerBook G4 (15-inch 1.5/1.33GHz), PowerBook G4 (17-inch), PowerBook G4 (17-inch 1.33GHz), PowerBook G4 (17-inch 1.5GHz)

If the computer is on, turn it off.

Reset the power manager by simultaneously pressing and then releasing Shift-Control-Option-Power on the keyboard. Do not press the fn (Function) key while using this combination of keystrokes.

Wait 5 seconds.

Press the Power button to restart the computer."
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« My First Mac... | iBook 600 MHz Battery Problem! HELP!!!!!!! »