New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

I can't beleive no one has any advice for me???

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

booskaboo

I posted this the other day, and I'm surprised that no one has any advice, so, I'm begging again.....PLEEEEEZ SOMEBODY HELP ME....

Hello, first off, here's my stats
g4 powerbook
500 mhz
1gig sdram

ok, someone please help! Ever since downloading/installing latest update, my g4 now takes a VERY long time to start up. The color wheel (ball) spins for close to 2 minutes (feels like 5 minutes) before finally loading up bar at top of screen. I don't know what else to do, below is what I have tried so far:
1- Ran disk warrior
2- Reset pram
3- used disk utility to repair disk and permisions
4- Used apple care tech tool (hung up on me about 1.5 horus in)
5- did the " -fsck" thing

ANY OTHE SUGGESTIONS??????
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

1. dont run disk warrior to rebuild your system unless your mac crashes and stuff is missing after startup. try starting up holding shift to boot without extensions, if it runs as before, you have an extension conflict somewhere, get back to us, if so, well try to track it down.:mac:
QUOTE Thanks
booskaboo

I tried to start holding down the shift key, but, the colo wheel spun for the same amount of time again.
Any other suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman
1. dont run disk warrior to rebuild your system unless your mac crashes and stuff is missing after startup. try starting up holding shift to boot without extensions, if it runs as before, you have an extension conflict somewhere, get back to us, if so, well try to track it down.:mac:
QUOTE Thanks
meanopause

i dont know if this would help...but...

if you have a lot of fonts installed on your comp that will slow it down big time. try deleting some or get a font manager like suitcase or something.

good luck
QUOTE Thanks
booskaboo

Yes, i do have a lot of fonts, but, I don't seem to remember it slowing down the startup in the past, but, I will try to set up a different user account, and then see if it will load up quicker without those fonts... thanks.

If that doesn't seem to help, then i will try to delete some of my fonts. I hope to be able to try it out tonight, so, I will get back to ya.

ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS OUT THERE?

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanopause
i dont know if this would help...but...

if you have a lot of fonts installed on your comp that will slow it down big time. try deleting some or get a font manager like suitcase or something.

good luck
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

as Ive recommended many times, DONT use fontbook for font management if you have more than 50-100 fonts tops, get suitcase x1:mac:
QUOTE Thanks
booskaboo

Ya know, i tried starting up under test user, and it started up pretty darn quick. i don't have many fonts at all, sooooooo whats the next thing to check??
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

if it worked fine, I think your admin account may be corrupt, I think the way around that is by making another admin account in user accounts, and transferring/moving everything to
the new account, and either delete the old admin account, or leave it alone.
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

wait, when you say test user, do you mean you created another user account and used that as the account you login to on startup? if you did, youre main admin account is corrupt, at least its not the whole OS, then youd looking at an erase and install.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« I finally did it... | stuck on startup »