New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - Is my USB port broken?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MarkStokes

MarkStokes is on a distinguished road

Hey everyone.

I have had my first MacBook Pro for a few months now and love it.

I have a weird issue with one of the USB Ports though. The one next to the magnetic power adapter doesn't seem to want to run an external Hard Drive through it.

When I plug in an external hard drive it doesn't register on the Mac and I hear a faint clicking sound from the External Hard Drive. I have tried a couple of different hard drives, with the same effect.

Other devices work fine, such as my graphics table, keyboards, etc. I wonder if the port isn't supplying enough power for an external hard drive?

Is this normal? it's a bit annoying as I have a couple of external hard drives that I want to connect at the same time.

Thanks

Mark
QUOTE Thanks
skaheadpunk

skaheadpunk has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule

I'm not sure if it's normal but I have the same problem with my macbook.
QUOTE Thanks
hockeyiscdn

hockeyiscdn is on a distinguished road

Could it be that one USB port is not as fast as the other? Hmm I dunno, I never tried it on mine. If you have a little portable flash drive thing.. try using that and see if that works
QUOTE Thanks
Bluegrass

Bluegrass will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz, 4GB memory, 160GB hard drive, Leopard, 20" Widescreen Samsung Display

Not all external hard drives will run straight from USB ports without a separate PSU providing the power to the drive. MacBook Pro's do seem to have low power USB outlets (mine won't even charge my Blackberry). There has been some discussion on this forum so would suggest you do a search. The other solution is to buy a powered USB hub to connect your hard drives to.
QUOTE Thanks
MarkStokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluegrass View Post
Not all external hard drives will run straight from USB ports without a separate PSU providing the power to the drive. MacBook Pro's do seem to have low power USB outlets (mine won't even charge my Blackberry). There has been some discussion on this forum so would suggest you do a search. The other solution is to buy a powered USB hub to connect your hard drives to.
Wow, that's a bit rubbish!

The Hard Drive does work off the other USB port, and also on other laptops, so that isn't the problem.... unless that particular USB port doesn't deliver as much power as the other one.

I'll have a search.

Cheers
QUOTE Thanks
Bluegrass

Bluegrass will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz, 4GB memory, 160GB hard drive, Leopard, 20" Widescreen Samsung Display

Mark, read this:

http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2008/0...cbook-all.html

you will see in the comments below that this also seems to effect the MacBook Pro, which is what I believe you are experiencing.
QUOTE Thanks
MarkStokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluegrass View Post
Mark, read this:

http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2008/0...cbook-all.html

you will see in the comments below that this also seems to effect the MacBook Pro, which is what I believe you are experiencing.
Aha... so I was right. Oh well. At least now I know. Looks like I have one Eternal HDD at a time. Unless I get a mini hub and power them both off the decent USB port and leave the one at the back for my graphics tablet.

Thanks or the link.... most useful.

Makr
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Installing RAM help!!! | Mic Jack/HD jack »