New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - Any way to override/disable the internal keyboard?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bluj

bluj is on a distinguished road

My toddler spilled (dumped?) juice on my MacBook Pro computer bag and some got inside the computer. I let it dry out overnight and was able to start it (and back up my stuff). This was a month or two ago, so my problem isn't horrible, but it is getting worse lately.

The problem now is that certain keys are intermittently not working (c, v, n, mostly bottom row). I can work around this with an external keyboard. However, the problem I can't seem to solve is the z key, which seems to randomly start repeating without being pressed. I can go hours/days without a problem, but then have times when I can't type/do anything, because z keeps appearing (or bezing recognized (that z in "bezing" is an example!).

My question is this--Is there any way to have the USB keyboard override the internal keyboard when I plug it in (or to disable the *^%&@%$#ing z key)? I plan getting the computer serviced by my employer (who will most likely send to Apple), but that won't be for another couple weeks, when I go on vacation.

I reviewed other "spill" threads, but didn't see this particular question addressed. Any ideas would be appreciated!!! Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
umang7888

umang7888 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.5 GHz 2 GB RAM 250 GB HDD NViDA GeForce 8600 GMT

Well it might be possible to disable keyboard if you close the lid of your computer & use external monitor as your monitor..But I am not very sure about this one....Just making a guess...But it might be possible with command line...But as I'm a newbie with macs...Don't know much about it..!!
Otherwise a simple but not complete solution could be that you can go to Your Keyboard pref.s & turn off the key repeatation. So that 'z' won't keep on typing....

iPod 5.5 Gen Video 30 GB | iPod Classic 80 GB |Airport Express |
MacBook Pro Penryn 2.5 GHz | 2 GB RAM | NVida GeFroce 8600 GMT|
QUOTE Thanks
rich6490

rich6490 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 2.5ghz, 4gb/r, 200g7.2krpm

You can get new keyboards for cheap, and they are easy to replace yourself.

-Zach, A.C.T.
QUOTE Thanks
fllecopr

fllecopr is on a distinguished road

hi

i've exactly the same issue as bluj for the same reason.
i use an external keyboard and want to disable the internal one in order to stop it repeating eeeeeeee, gggggggg and .

does anyoneeee know how to do it ?e

i've already disabled the key repeating preference but it still continue pressing some keys.
i think it's both hardware and software issue

any idea would help

thank you !
QUOTE Thanks
Tarek

Tarek has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5

Nah, I believe there is no way to disable your internal keyboard.
QUOTE Thanks
brairden

brairden has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2 iMacs, 1 MBP, 1 UMB, 1 mini

Download and install "keyboard cleaner"

It blocks input from your keyboard. What I don't know is if it would also block your external keyboard. My suggestion would be to run this program without the external connected. Once the program is blocking the input from the internal, then connect the external. I don't think this program has any sort of live updating written into the software. It shouldn't recognize that there is a another keyboard connected.

Not a 100% sure this will work, but it is definitely worth a try.

Keyboard Cleaner for Mac - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com

15" 2.53ghz i5 MacBook Pro (2010) 8gb, 500gb HD - 60gb OWC SSD
13" 2.4ghz MacBook Unibody (late 2008) 4gb, 250gb
24" 2.4ghz Aluminum iMac (mid 2007) 3gb, 1tb
mini 2.0ghz - 32gb iPhone 4
QUOTE Thanks
D_Swallow

D_Swallow is on a distinguished road

Funnily enough I'm having the same problem, except I don't have a toddler to blame for the accident. It's the same keys that are jammed on: g and e but not the symbol you mentioned.
I called the Applecare line and they suggested resetting the power supply (something like that anyway), which is done by:
removing the battery, holding down the power switch for five seconds. Then you replace the battery and immediately after switching it on hold down Apple key, alt, P and R. I'm pretty sure that was the combo, but check on google for it.
It seems likely that the damage is done and I expect this won't help although maybe in some circumstances it might.
The one useful thing I have to say is press down num lock on the broken keyboard, if that's still working of course. That will enable you to type with the external.

Dave
QUOTE Thanks
hannah1997

hannah1997 is on a distinguished road

By pressing the "control" key and the "F1" key, you can toggle on or off the keyboard. This may or may not solve your problem, but its worth a try!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Trash doesn't Empty | Dead MacbookPro Processor - Memory Recovery »