Powerbook or iBook...again.
    Here's the deal. In the UK I get an academic discount, so the prices are:

12" iBook 1.2 GHz
    60 GB HD

Total: 853.18 (incl. 157 for Applecare)

12" Powerbook 1.33 GHz
    60 GB

Total: 1162.08 (incl. 220 for Applecare)

What I want from a new machine is something that will last me 3-4 years for regular internet/word processing/DVD viewing/travelling/occasional game (e.g. WC3, Call-of-Duty...none of the new games obviously). For these purposes, is the extra processing/GPU power of the Powerbook worth the extra 300 (which is about USD$555, or CAD$675)?? Will the Powerbook remain functionally useful for much that longer than the iBook?

12" iBook G4
    go for the ibook, the powerbook will be updated soon anyway, ibook lighter and smaller ideal for travleling etc

Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
    "ibook lighter and smaller"

Wrong: 12" Powerbook lighter and smaller...

though agree on the speed and performance issues - the iBook currently has an almost identical speed for less so get the iBook and buy an iPod...

I ended up getting a 12" iBook (Bluetooth, 80GB HD, Applecare) because the extra money for the PB wasn't worth the marginal performance increase. It will hopefully be here next week!

Yea, the Powerbooks are due for an update really soon anyways. And the iBooks are just as powerful as the entry-level Powerbook so no point. 700 is still great for a 1.2Ghz 12" don't you think? I'm ordering mine next week.

good choice, although before purchasing my 12" iBook I did look at the 12" PB and 15" PB but coming back to earth I decided between the 12 and 14 iBook. I was thinking of financing a 15" PB but after 7 days of deep thought I told myself its not worth it (yet) as all I really want to do is surf the 'net 90% of the time and use AppleWorks. So i paid cash for a 12" iBook w/an extra 256MB of RAM. The 30GB HDD bothered me in the begining but seeing I don't really store much on my HDD (music, pics, docs, programs all are on my 40GB iPod) I'm glad I got the 12" book over the 15" PB. I saved myself from going into debt with evil credit card and well sure it would have been nice to own a 15" PB but I would have never used it to its fullest extent. I'm thinking in 2yrs or so I will buy a PB as my needs will change within time. But for now the 12" iBook is great for what I need it for. And a great value!!!!

Thread Information