New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

PowerBook - Problem with HD pictire included

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Sillykid86

Sillykid86 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: ibook G4 800MHz, ipod 80GB

Well i am a happy mac user with my lovely iBook, but the ibook is getting old and slow, so i thought i will get something decent from ebay, and here i come cross a powerbook 12' with everything i need at a fraction of the price, but they is a catch, the previous owner is pretty honest and tell us that there is something wrong with the HD of that powerbook, and he did replace with a new HD, but it went down as well, that's why he is selling the powerbook.

So here is where i need you guys input, he upload the picture of what happened after turning the machine on

Hmmm so what does that picture mean?? Simply cant recognise the HD or some deeper problem, thanks in advance
QUOTE Thanks
fletch33

fletch33 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 13" MBP 2.53 DC2, 09 Mini 2.0 DC2, 07 Mini 2.16 DC2, MB 2.0 DC2, iBook G3 900MHz, G4 Sawtooth 1.6Ghz

that doesnt really say much except it cant find the OS unfortunately. could be a ram problem, something on the motherboard problem, several other things, or it could simply be that the HDD wasn't formatted right or the person doesnt know how to load the OS. you would really need to get your hands on it.
QUOTE Thanks
Sillykid86

thanks for that
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Telling you it cannot find an operating system. Pop in the install DVD, probably Tiger from the look of the picture, and reboot holding down 'C'. Go to utilities and Then Disk Utilities>Repair Disk and if all shows well format Mac OS Journaled.

Then see if you can install the OS.
QUOTE Thanks
nbrowser

nbrowser has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac Mini 2.5 i5/16Gb/500Gb/Radeon 6630M-256MB

I got that exact same screen when I replaced the HD in my Mini, went away after I loaded the restore disc into it and install went ahead......but

This is a multiplatform home !
QUOTE Thanks
fletch33

fletch33 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 13" MBP 2.53 DC2, 09 Mini 2.0 DC2, 07 Mini 2.16 DC2, MB 2.0 DC2, iBook G3 900MHz, G4 Sawtooth 1.6Ghz

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
Telling you it cannot find an operating system. Pop in the install DVD, probably Tiger from the look of the picture, and reboot holding down 'C'. Go to utilities and Then Disk Utilities>Repair Disk and if all shows well format Mac OS Journaled.

Then see if you can install the OS.
i think he was looking for advice as to whether or not he should buy it. i was under the impression he didnt have it yet so although the 2 suggestions here are what i would assume it however it would be tough to tell if you couldn't get it it in front of you. he was looking on ebay and that is a picture os what is wrong with it before he buys it.

if it were me and it was a ridiculously good price and it wouldnt be the END of the world if it was not just an OS install then i would buy it and take my chances. that is a tough little laptop and you will most likely be getting a good deal because someone else couldn't figure it out.

good luck and lest us know
QUOTE Thanks
Sillykid86

Quote:
Originally Posted by fletch33 View Post
i think he was looking for advice as to whether or not he should buy it. i was under the impression he didnt have it yet so although the 2 suggestions here are what i would assume it however it would be tough to tell if you couldn't get it it in front of you. he was looking on ebay and that is a picture os what is wrong with it before he buys it.

if it were me and it was a ridiculously good price and it wouldnt be the END of the world if it was not just an OS install then i would buy it and take my chances. that is a tough little laptop and you will most likely be getting a good deal because someone else couldn't figure it out.

good luck and lest us know
Yeah thats right, i haven't paid for it yet, so the powerbook couldnt be in front of me =( but thanks for those who give me advices, i will keep you guys update
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« boot problem, fubar HD? | Few quick questions. Help Please. »