New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - Pop (or creak)...normal?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

JuanGuapo

JuanGuapo is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: uMBP 2.66/4GB/320GB; iMac 2.66Ghz/4GB/320GB; Apple TV; Black iPhone 3G 16GB

My black MB has started to make slight popping/creaking noises when I open the screen, esp. if it's cold and I haven't used it for a while. My guess is it is the plastic flexing/wearing but I thought I'd ask you all who have them if it's anything to worry about. The hinge seems to open/close just fine, but I remember when I got it it was quiet.

Can anyone who has a black MB tell me if this is normal?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZcfaqNuvn8

PS: This is a [new] 2.4 that I've had for about 6-7 weeks. Never dropped or misused.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Hard to tell from the video and sound clip, but it almost sounds like static discharges. Do you live in a very dry climate area of California?

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
JuanGuapo

Mac Specs: uMBP 2.66/4GB/320GB; iMac 2.66Ghz/4GB/320GB; Apple TV; Black iPhone 3G 16GB

Thx chscag. No, it's pretty temperate here in SoCal; warm but not dry or humid. The sound seems to be coming from the plastic around the hinge. Nothing appears to be rubbing, per say.
QUOTE Thanks
Noels

Noels has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM

JuanGuapo,

That doesn't sound at all normal to me - it's as if the plastic has a buckle in it or some bit of plastic has torn away and is interfering with the top opening, thus the clicking sound there. If I had that problem I'd have mine to an Apple Store right away.

Are you still under warranty? Or under Apple care? If so, they should repair that or replace the hinge at the least. If you're not covered, I'd still check it out with Apple, maybe they'll fix it for you anyhow, or for cheap

Good luck, Noel
QUOTE Thanks
Dec540

Dec540 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MBP 2011 15" 2.0Ghz (hi-res, Momentus XT). 32GB iPhone 4.

6-7 weeks.. i'd say it'd be under warranty
QUOTE Thanks
JuanGuapo

Well, I went to the Apple store yesterday while my fiance was shopping at the mall and I was able to take a look at the blackbooks on display. It appears they all sort of do it in one way or another, so I imagine there's either not much they can do about it or it's semi-normal. The sales guy I talked to said that the black ones are a little noisier than the white books ("...made of a different material, so it creaks a little depending on how you open it or pick it up.")

Anyone else w/ a black macbook experiencing this?
QUOTE Thanks
Noels

Noels has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM

JuanGuapo,

Well at least you know it's "normal."

Noel
QUOTE Thanks
skaheadpunk

skaheadpunk has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule

My white MacBook creaks - I'm not sure if it always has, but it has for a very long time.
QUOTE Thanks
JuanGuapo

Thx guys... One thing I love about this community is that we are there to help each other out, even answer "is this normal?"-type of questions..

Yeah it appears thus far to be normal, at least from what I've seen w/ the black MBs on display.
QUOTE Thanks
cuhnool

cuhnool is a jewel in the roughcuhnool is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3

I was opening and closing my MB, and mine did a sort of popping sound when I opened it. I noticed that the bottom of the screen butts up against the base part as I open it. not so much to keep it from opening, though. I should post a YT vid, if that was unclear.

QUOTE Thanks
bmxxx

bmxxx is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.4GHz 250GB/G4 iPod 20GB/iPod Touch 32GB/iPod Shuffle 1GB

I have a black MacBook and mine does the same thing occasionally. I have found that if I am opening it at a funny angle (i.e. on my lap or couch) then i will get a noise but I'm pretty sure you have nothing to worry about. Part of it may also be the natural expansion of the plastic due to thermal changes. Again, not a big deal, just a little noise is all.

MacBook|2.4GHz|250GB/iPod G4|20 GB
QUOTE Thanks
JuanGuapo

Thx guys! You know, come to think of it seems to only make sound when I have it on a hard surface like a desk or counter.

If I have it on my lap, it makes no sound. It will most definitely make the popping sound if I open the lid holding anywhere but in the center (above the isight). The sound seems to come from the seam between the display lid, and the hinge cover on the bottom that runs across the back of the display.
QUOTE Thanks
bmxxx

bmxxx is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.4GHz 250GB/G4 iPod 20GB/iPod Touch 32GB/iPod Shuffle 1GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanGuapo View Post
If I have it on my lap, it makes no sound. It will most definitely make the popping sound if I open the lid holding anywhere but in the center (above the isight).
That is just because the screen flexes a bit if you put pressure on it off center. Playing with mine just now, that is the only explanation. You will be fine it is nothing to worry about.

MacBook|2.4GHz|250GB/iPod G4|20 GB
QUOTE Thanks
macwannabe

macwannabe is a jewel in the roughmacwannabe is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*

do the MBP's make noise as well?

Click the logo to check out my site...

"learn the basics, learn the rules, and then learn how to break them creatively.." - Phototini
QUOTE Thanks
OK Computer

OK Computer is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Intel Core 2 Duo Black MacBook

my sisters black MB does it all the time, but she has a spec case on it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Multi-Colored changing lines on screen | computer shuts down after installing RAM »