New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - What is happening to my MacBook

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MacNewbie

MacNewbie is an unknown at this point

i looked on gogole and found a bunch of irrelevant literature on the subject of unmounting that isnt really helping

what exactly does unmounting do and is there another way to do it? since u and i arent on the same system..
QUOTE Thanks
MacNewbie

ok so for those whove been folllwing my dilemma

ok so..

ny desktop will not load properly...it takes 5-10 min for the login prompt to come up and after i log in it takes about another 10 min for the desktop wallpaper image to load...

after about 40 minues i can see programs on the dock...but nothing else on the desktop will load though....

ive tried to use firewire cables to connect to another mac i can see the folders i need to extract but everytime i try to click on the folder the computer freezes... i

ive reset pram, did hardware test (came back fine), performed disk first aid and gave me an error message saying: "error: the underlying task reported failure on exit" , ive tried booting in safe mode but the computer just shuts down...

i then went out and spent $100 to purchase diskwarrior and i keep getting the error message "diskwarrior speed reduced to disc malfunction" i read on google that if the mouse can move around this means the program is sitll working so im plannin on leaving it on over night but i dont think its going to work....

as a last ditch effort i tried to do the firewire thing again this time instead of clicking on the icon on the desktop i clicked on finder and then clicked on the desktop and i can see all my old folders but when i click "Get info" it says "Calculating size"...and the folders are empty and wont load....

i aso cannot transfer any of the files as when i try to do so the host computer and target computer will freeze..

ive included pictures..

http://img505.imageshack.us/img505/5535/picture5rb9.jpg
http://img123.imageshack.us/img123/1951/picture4ac8.jpg

PLS HELP!!
QUOTE Thanks
kjs

kjs is on a distinguished road

sounds like the disc is dieing, Personally, I would remove the hard drive dd the drive to an image and work on the disc image that way your working on a image and your original data is left alone. Have you tried pulling the stuff onto another machine via the network?
QUOTE Thanks
kjs

kjs is on a distinguished road

Probably hard drive on its way out, just because you can see the dir's does not mean the data is there.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

I agree with kjs, your hard drive is defective. No amount of data transfer via Firewire or USB is going to work as the defective HDD will cause the transfer to hang or fail.

As been suggested, you may be able to recover data from a network connection or an image but that too might be limited because of the drive. In the end, unless you have backups the data may be lost.

BTW, professional data recovery could probably get your data off the drive, however, most charge big $$$$.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
fletch33

fletch33 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 13" MBP 2.53 DC2, 09 Mini 2.0 DC2, 07 Mini 2.16 DC2, MB 2.0 DC2, iBook G3 900MHz, G4 Sawtooth 1.6Ghz

if it were me i would go and get something like this or you can get a bigger or smaller size whatever suits you.

i would then open that passport up and remove the drive. then put that drive into my mac which is very easy to do and place my mac's drive into the passport shell. you can also just buy a hard drive and an external case but this gives you both at a cheaper price

then install your OS on your new HDD on your mac and when you all set up try your best to use software or whatever to get your info off the old drive by connecting to your mac. if that doesnt work i would connect it to a pc and see if you cant get a pc to recognize your data and retrieve it or try some pc software to do it.

i have had several experiences like this where a pc would see it and a mac wouldn't and vice versa.

good luck
QUOTE Thanks
MacNewbie

So i am trying to run Disk Warrior to save my computer....

its been running overnight and im up to "speed reduced by disk malfunction: 1,129" (yes at one point it was only at 1)

i googled the issue and found this reassuring news:

"As long as the mouse cursor still moves during step 5, then the computer
did not hang or freeze. DiskWarrior is still working on reading the
directory of the disk.

The "speed reduced by disk malfunction" message indicates that there is
a communication problem with this hard drive. Such slowdowns are
usually the result of having bad blocks on the media. DiskWarrior is
having trouble reading data from the locations on disk where the
directory structures are stored.

While the application is running, you should see the number of errors
increase in the counter, just to the right of the message. The number
may not increase at a steady rate as not all of the blocks will be bad.

To recover the data from this drive, please let DiskWarrior continue to
run. This can take quite a few hours but should eventually complete.
On rare occasions, it might even be necessary to run this for a day or two."

HOWEVER!....while its running i keep hearing this spinning noise pattern occur in my harddrive ...

please watch this video to hear the noise... (is this abnormal?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-r6BX4iJ58

here is what DiskWarrior tech support told me:

"If the drive is making highly unusual noises, you may need to stop
DiskWarrior and send the drive to a data recovery service. For more
information on this issue, visit:

http://www.drivesavers.com/solutions/recovery-tips.html

If the noises are normal disk access noises, continue with the rebuild"

i clicked on the drivesavers link and none of the noises listed on that site match with what the sound my computer is making....

so my question is this

1.) does anyone have experience with diskwarrior having the speed reduced by disk malfunction error?

2.) does the noise my computer making indicate anything???

3.) some background info: when i start up the desktop it takes about 10 min to get to the login screen and another 10 for it to load the desktop wallpaper...another 40 or so to load programs on the dock....while this is happening i hear the same noise in this youtube video:

ive tried using firewire to connect my macbook pro to another macbook to get the info off of my harddrive and i can see the folders in the harddrive
but whenever i try to extract them the thing freezes..

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!
QUOTE Thanks
MacNewbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fletch33 View Post
if it were me i would go and get something like this or you can get a bigger or smaller size whatever suits you.

i would then open that passport up and remove the drive. then put that drive into my mac which is very easy to do and place my mac's drive into the passport shell. you can also just buy a hard drive and an external case but this gives you both at a cheaper price

then install your OS on your new HDD on your mac and when you all set up try your best to use software or whatever to get your info off the old drive by connecting to your mac.
wouldnt this technically be the same thing as trying to use firewire to connect my defective macbook pro onto a working macbook???
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNewbie View Post
ok so for those whove been folllwing my dilemma....
...which is much easier to do when you keep all of your information in one thread.

Threads merged.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
MacNewbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
I agree with kjs, your hard drive is defective. No amount of data transfer via Firewire or USB is going to work as the defective HDD will cause the transfer to hang or fail.

As been suggested, you may be able to recover data from a network connection or an image but that too might be limited because of the drive. In the end, unless you have backups the data may be lost.

BTW, professional data recovery could probably get your data off the drive, however, most charge big $$$$.

Regards.

recover data from network connnection or an image???
im sorry i dont know what this meanS?
QUOTE Thanks
MacNewbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y View Post
...which is much easier to do when you keep all of your information in one thread.

Threads merged.

thanks but i was hoping i could get immediate attention to this issue:

can u pls take a listen ?
QUOTE Thanks
MacNewbie

can someone please!!!

what does this sound indicate???
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

Is the Hard Drive accessing when that sound is being made? If so that sounds like a dying Hard Drive.

Is there a CD/DVD in the optical drive? If not I would bet Hard Drive.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNewbie View Post
thanks but i was hoping i could get immediate attention to this issue
Sorry, but this is an internet forum... not an instant messenger application.
Responses on forums can take time. Be patient and I'm sure someone might be able to help you out sooner or later.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
kgeier82

kgeier82 is a jewel in the roughkgeier82 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt

go buy another HD. Put it in, install OSX, and see if your problem persists.

My bet is the HD is starting to DIE>

2.4ghz Unibody | Hitachi 320GB 7200 | 256MB 9600gt
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Internet Cleanup 5.0 neverending renew pop-ups | Macbook bricked? Help needed urgently. »