New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - Sleep of Power off?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

avalanche

avalanche is on a distinguished road

Hey guys, I'm a student and want to start bringing my macbook pro with me to my classes. I don't know whether I should put it to sleep or turn it off between classes. It will be bouncing around in my bag so I don't know if that could be bad for it while it is sleeping, and also I don't know whether it is a bad idea to keep powering it up and down between classes (probably about 3 or 4 times a day). Please let me know what you think would be better.

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
lukenn77

lukenn77 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook White 2.16GHz 2Gb OS X 10.5, 16Gb iPhone 3G Black

I used to close mine down every night etc, but now i just shut the lid and leave it at that. Puts it to sleep, and when you open it up again everything is right where you left it. If it's going to be in and out of your bag id recommend getting a protective case for it. I just got a soft black neoprene case for £20 from apple and it works great. And dont worry about it getting too hot when inside a case and turned on, there is no way it will overheat in there. So to summarise...i'd just keep it turned on and shut the lid whenever you need to get up and move.
QUOTE Thanks
blackhand

blackhand is on a distinguished road

While leaving laptops, in general, in sleep for short trips is fine, I wouldn't recommend to leave it in sleep over night day after day. I believe that the battery becomes weaker with this sort of use. If I'm wrong someone please correct me.
QUOTE Thanks
Fidou

Fidou is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White Mac Book 2.4GHZ, 2GB

is the sleep mode same as the hibernate mode found on Windows?

Usually I do put my pc on hibernate when I have to carry it and as everything is stored on the hard disk, then nothing is running.
QUOTE Thanks
visualpurple

visualpurple has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhand View Post
While leaving laptops, in general, in sleep for short trips is fine, I wouldn't recommend to leave it in sleep over night day after day. I believe that the battery becomes weaker with this sort of use. If I'm wrong someone please correct me.
there's nothing wrong with doing this.

I keep my computer asleep overnight and when I'm moving it around for a couple weeks at a time, then I shut it off for a night just to give it a refresh.

Sleep mode is extremely useful. I see no need to power off unless your computer won't be used for a couple days at a time.
QUOTE Thanks
blackhand

blackhand is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by visualpurple View Post
there's nothing wrong with doing this.

I keep my computer asleep overnight and when I'm moving it around for a couple weeks at a time, then I shut it off for a night just to give it a refresh.

Sleep mode is extremely useful. I see no need to power off unless your computer won't be used for a couple days at a time.

I'm speaking purely on the battery's longevity not sleep modes usefulness.
QUOTE Thanks
visualpurple

visualpurple has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhand View Post
I'm speaking purely on the battery's longevity not sleep modes usefulness.
my battery has 100% health after 350 cycles and 19 months of running it the way I described above, so I don't think it has an effect on longevity.

Seems to me the people who end up with the worst battery life are the ones who are constantly worrying and fussing over it, instead of just using their computers the way they want to.
QUOTE Thanks
kgeier82

kgeier82 is a jewel in the roughkgeier82 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by visualpurple View Post
my battery has 100% health after 350 cycles and 19 months of running it the way I described above, so I don't think it has an effect on longevity.

Seems to me the people who end up with the worst battery life are the ones who are constantly worrying and fussing over it, instead of just using their computers the way they want to.
AMEN.

use and abuse that sucker.Nothing you do is gonna make it last longer, so enjoy it, its paid for!

2.4ghz Unibody | Hitachi 320GB 7200 | 256MB 9600gt
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« frozen startup, please help! | PowerBook Memory Failure? »