New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

iBook - Replaced HD but not recognized

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

evaughn21

evaughn21 is on a distinguished road

Hello all, to start I am new to the MAC world but am eager to learn. I purchased a white ibook 500MHz, 512MB, 10GB HD, double USB, wireless and CDROM. The prior owner said that he was running OS X Leopard. When I received the laptop it didn't have a HD installed nor did it include any software. After emailing him he said that he didn't have time to wipe the HD so he just removed it and swore up and down that the package included the software... So I upgraded to a CDRW / DVD drive, and purchased a retail box WD 60GB HD and a retail copy of OS X Leopard.
I sucessfully installed the new CDRW/DVD drive and 60GB HD. Prior to installing the HD I formated it into HSF+ using MAC Drive7 software. After re-assembling everything I powered it up and held down the "C" button to boot to DVD. It gets to the grey screen w/ the apple and the spinner and just sits there spinning away. I have checked the forums and tried several things. I turned on holding down the "option" button it goes to a blue'ish screen w/ a curved arrow on left and a straight arrow on right. In the middle it has the MAC OS X box but it won't allow me to click on it. There was no hard drive shown so I am pretty sure that it is my first thing to resolve.
Unfortunately for me this is my first MAC and I do not have access to another one to connect via firewire cable as stated in numerous forums. Nor do I know of anyone that has a MAC to assist me in getting this working.
I am pretty certain that I am missing a crutial step that is probably fairly simple.
Any assistance would be much appreciated and please keep in mind I am a MAC newbie so please spell it out for me, I'm learning but I am not up to speed on all MAC tech talk yet.
QUOTE Thanks
Soulwar

Soulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5

The problem is that Leopard requires at least a 867 MHz PPC G4 to work.

Quote:
I purchased a white ibook 500MHz and a retail copy of OS X Leopard.
General requirements
  • Mac computer with an Intel, PowerPC G5, or PowerPC G4 (867MHz or faster) processor
http://www.apple.com/macosx/techspecs/

You'd only be able to upgrade to Tiger.

Specs for your iBook.
http://www.everymac.com/systems/appl...ibook_500.html

When all else fails, try everything!
The Rep System and you.
Life's a joke...If you're not laughing, then you didn't get it.

June 2008

QUOTE Thanks
evaughn21

evaughn21 is on a distinguished road

That would do it, thank you very much.
QUOTE Thanks
Soulwar

Soulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by evaughn21 View Post
That would do it, thank you very much.
Sorry for the bad news... But it sounds like you did a great job in replacing the optical and HDD.
(Not always easy in the older models)

When all else fails, try everything!
The Rep System and you.
Life's a joke...If you're not laughing, then you didn't get it.

June 2008

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« scorching charger | The Black film on White MacBook »