New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - MacBook Pro - heat issues

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mrben2k8

mrben2k8 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro Intel i5 2.53GHz, 4GB, 500GB, nVidia GT330m. iPhone 4S 16GB

i got a 15.4" macbook pro, anyone know of any good ways to keep it cool, besides the obvious well ventilated rear...

maybe a cooling fan of some sort? any recommendations?

i was converting a movie to dvd format today and the gpu diode on iStat pro hit 71c!!! thats not good......

it also gets especially toastie when its on charge....

recommendations please guys.

Ben
QUOTE Thanks
bphoenix

bphoenix is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15" 2.2/120gb/2gb Santa Rosa - 20" Aluminum Apple Cinema Display

mine has gone up to 85C before, its not really a big deal since the computer will turn off once the heat reaches a high enough temperature anyways, I wouldn't be worried about 71C at all, but you might want to try and get a laptop cooler or a stand for it ect...if you are using it at that temperature for a long time.
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

Recommendation: leave well enough alone! The MBP is set up to deal with the heat it generates. It is OK. Believe me, you are a lot more worried about it than the machine itself is.

My MBP regularly runs in the high 60s during Skype video calls. It works fine. So will yours.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
Plan B

Plan B is on a distinguished road

try and keep the room cool as well.

Cheers.
QUOTE Thanks
getuptogetdown

getuptogetdown is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" Matte Macbook Pro 2.5Ghz 4gb RAM 250gb HD, 60gb iPod Classic maxed, iPod shuffle

yeah, don't worry about it, professionals designed it! If you are worried about heat while using it on your lap thats a different story. I have a techshell case on my laptop so that keeps the heat decent enough to hold it on my lap without a problem.

Loving my MBP more and more everyday
QUOTE Thanks
Bear Hunter

Bear Hunter is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac, MBP

That does not mean you can max out the cores for an indefinate period of time.

Use SMC Fan Control:

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/31029
QUOTE Thanks
magnat2

magnat2 is on a distinguished road

Hi, I used to have this problem on my macbook pro 2.2ghz (not unibody), for example if i was playing with it on my lap it burned my legs, one day I took the cover off to see if i could somehow to improve his fans air circulation, and started playing a game with the top cover off, and it run cool as a breeze (with cover + 80 C , without 55 C, you can do the test yourself, its a huge difference), then i noticed that the speakers holes on the top cover was covered by some kind of plastic not allowing air circulation from the top intake of the fans, so I removed the 2 larger part of the plastic (there are 4, 2 smalls and 2 larges), since then my macbook is just like any other pc, the max temperature i have with it, even playing games is 60 C, now i can play games with it on my lap without excessive temps, just need to watch out for not spilling liquids by those holes, but im very happy with the result, been a long time my fans dont pass the 4500 rpm, even with heavy load I tell this in case anybody wants to know
QUOTE Thanks
TomWilliams

TomWilliams is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 13" 2.26GHz

71 degrees is nothing, don't worry about it whatsoever.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« To upgrade or not | Advice: buying my first MacBook Pro »