New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - Built in iSight stopped working

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

growlgrowl

growlgrowl is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2013. OSX 10.9. 8Gb mem, 3.6 GHz 750Gb HD. iPod Touch 2009. AppleTV2

I use Skype a lot, that's the only thing I use my cam for.

I haven't used it for a few days and now it is not working.

I am fairly new to Macs, well a few months. There doesn't seem to be muchin the way of troubleshooting advice for built in iSight and no way in System Preferences to test your hardware.

I haven't changed any settings as far as i know.

Any ideas?

Grrrrrr
QUOTE Thanks
skaheadpunk

skaheadpunk has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule

Has it totally stopped working? When you open Photobooth does the light come on or is it just nothing? Do you get a black screen in Photobooth?
QUOTE Thanks
growlgrowl

Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2013. OSX 10.9. 8Gb mem, 3.6 GHz 750Gb HD. iPod Touch 2009. AppleTV2

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaheadpunk View Post
Has it totally stopped working? When you open Photobooth does the light come on or is it just nothing? Do you get a black screen in Photobooth?
The green light is still on but Photobooth shows a black screen. Attempts to take photo but nothing shows.

This happened out of the blue. Can't think i would have done anything to to change isight settings.

Have restarted Mac and got new software updates SINCE it stopped working yesterday in the hope that would help.

I am now not in the country, having just moved, so cannot take it back to the
shop with the guarantee.

I just remembered I backed up with Time Machine within the last week. Can i do anything with that? What would happen to other data?

Grrrrrrr
QUOTE Thanks
skaheadpunk

Ok, this one actually happened to me a while ago but I can't remember what on earth I did to fix it... I think it might have solved itself when I upgraded to 10.5, but that's doesn't help you, unless you can do an archive and install and that will do it. But that seems like a rather big thing to do TBH.

Is it under warranty? I thought the Apple warranty was international you see, if you can get to an Apple store they should help. Have you tried to call Apple at all?
QUOTE Thanks
growlgrowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaheadpunk View Post
Ok, this one actually happened to me a while ago but I can't remember what on earth I did to fix it... I think it might have solved itself when I upgraded to 10.5, but that's doesn't help you, unless you can do an archive and install and that will do it. But that seems like a rather big thing to do TBH.

Is it under warranty? I thought the Apple warranty was international you see, if you can get to an Apple store they should help. Have you tried to call Apple at all?
Not yet..and I haven't got John Lewis round the corner any more!!!! I saw another thread where the person said it just seemed to fix itself but i'll maybe contact Apple.

Is there somewhere in System Prefs where you can switch the cam off or on or do ou just control it with each program you are using?

Cheers

Grrrr
QUOTE Thanks
skaheadpunk

Nothing in System Prefs that I can find or spotlight. Mine could well have fixed itself, I have no memory of doing anything more than being annoyed by it.

If you can't get outside help I'd try the archive and install, mostly because I don't know what else to do, and that's what I do when I have absolutely no clue and it seems to be a software issue.
QUOTE Thanks
growlgrowl

OK well here's a weird one for you.

I shut down my Mac for 15 minutes. Restarted. And it's fine!!!

..for now!

Thanks for advice earlier Skaheadpunk

Grrrrrrrr
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« PowerBook G4 running slow. please help!!! | Display issue, looks bluesih washed out, help! »