New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

iBook - iBook G4 doesnt boot up

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jerry91

jerry91 is on a distinguished road

Hello,

My 5 yr old faithful iBook G4 12" fails to boot up. Sometimes I can get it to power on (LCD comes on) but it doesnt go further and dies .. I took it to the Apple store and they tried to reset the power management and it didnt work.

The quote to get it repaired was $500-700 depending upon the nature of the problem; they thought it could be the logic board.

The other possibility is that the DC power supply module in the iBook could be faulty. If so, then my repairing costs would be insignificant.

My question is, based on your experience what could be the problem; the logic board or the power supply module?

Are there any guides/methods I can narrow it down?

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
stal1n77

stal1n77 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 15 inch 2.4ghz Peryn 4 gig

The iBook's are prone to logic board failures having to do with graphics chips coming loose. There have been some fix's that although primitive have worked for me and others. This is outlandish but if its the graphics chip on your logic board then you can take a clamp, or simply apply pressure to the correct spot on the underside of the laptop. This website shows a more portable fix. http://coreyarnold.org/ibook/ also note the ifixit guide in there to help you pinpoint were to clamp. I would test the with the clamp, it may narrow down your problem.
QUOTE Thanks
jerry91

jerry91 is on a distinguished road

Thank you very much.

I'll try the method and report back.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Pictures of my MacBook with a GelaSkin | iBook G4 random lockups »