New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - Upgrading Graphics Card RAM

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

awessing

awessing is on a distinguished road

I am working on the brand new Macbook Pro (system - 2gb ram and graphics - 256mb ram) and I am wondering if there is a way to upgrade the RAM on my graphics card. I know you can update your ram for your system and apple gives you the option to upgrade the graphics card ram on their web site, but I need to know if i can upgrade the ram that works with my graphics (upgrade my 256 MB to a 512 or a 1gb ram for graphics only) by myself and buy the ram chip myself.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

The RAM for the GPU is part of the Logic Board. There is no way to upgrade it.
QUOTE Thanks
Apple Bottom

Apple Bottom is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 17", 2.6Ghz C2D, 4GB RAM, 200GB HDD, 512M 8600m GT

Yep, dtravis is correct, its fused onto the main board. I also find it odd they did that to the CPU as well, typically on notebooks i service they are socketed like PC desktops. That would mean if anything goes bad on the logic board including the cpu you'd have to toss the whole thing......ugh what a waste.

Apple Macbook Pro 17" , Intel 2.6Ghz Core 2 Duo 6MB Cache (Penryn), 4GB DDR2 PC5300 RAM, 200GB HDD 7200rpm SATA, 512MB nVidia 8600m GT, Mac OS-X 10.5.3 Leopard / Boot Camp Windows Vista x64
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« I've been having some problems lately. | Upgradable Trackpad (pinch,swipe,etc.) »