New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

PowerBook - PowerBook will not boot up?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Storm

Storm is on a distinguished road

I have a Powerbook G4 17" 1ghz, I upgraded to the 1.6ghz about 7 months ago. I Wiped the hard drive on the 1ghz and re-installed the OS 10.4. Everything worked fine on the laptop when I put it back into its original packaging 7 months ago and put it in the closet while advertising it for sale. When some contacted me about the laptop about a month ago I pulled it out of the closet and put it on charge to have a full battery when I met with the buyer. After letting it charge for a night I tried to boot the laptop to again make sure everything was fine. The laptop fan came on and sounded like it was running at full speed then it shut off. This took approximately 1-1.5 seconds. The screen did not flash on, there was no other sound other than the fan. I have tried holding down the PRAM reset keys, I have tried removing the battery and booting the laptop with out it. I have tried booting with it plugged in and unplugged. I have removed the memory and replaced the memory. Of course what really has me baffled, other than the fact that it will not start up, is that it worked perfectly fine before I put it into the closet.

Thank you in advanced for any and all help

Storm
QUOTE Thanks
Soulwar

Soulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5

Welcome!

See if this helps.
Resetting PowerBook and iBook Power Management Unit (PMU)

When all else fails, try everything!
The Rep System and you.
Life's a joke...If you're not laughing, then you didn't get it.

June 2008

QUOTE Thanks
Storm

Thanks, but no luck with the PMU reset
QUOTE Thanks
djefferis

djefferis is on a distinguished road

having the same issue with my PB 12" on 10.4..its experienced the sleep issue before and this has usually been fixed by reset p/ram and then using open firmware to reset the nv-ram. Problem is my book no longer seems to reconize either the display or keyboard. It boots fine, but you would never know because the keyboard nor display work. Unless your hooked to externals, you have no way of knowing this.

I am going to try to get a apple usb keyboard later today and reset the nv-ram using an external display. I will try to post back if this works. Didnt mention, but have you tried hooking your up to an external display ?
QUOTE Thanks
Storm

No i have not tried attaching to another display, is this possible without being able to change specs in control panel? will give it a shot either way.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« New Superdrive is making noises | cursor jumping »