New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - broke screen help!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

hqz

hqz is on a distinguished road

hi there
my laptop screen its broke by a hit in the cover .
wondering if anybody knows how much $$ can cost fix it?
just an average for know
thanks
QUOTE Thanks
ardillo9344

ardillo9344 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook White 2.0 GHz 320GB HD 2GB RAM PowerMac G4 Quicksilver 733MHz 80GB HD iPhone 3G 16GB Black

Try this :
http://www.ifixit.com/Products/MacBo...Displays/10/68

But before you buy that, go to the Apple store or call them. Sometimes even if the laptop is out of warranty they will fix it.
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardillo9344 View Post
Try this :
http://www.ifixit.com/Products/MacBo...Displays/10/68

But before you buy that, go to the Apple store or call them. Sometimes even if the laptop is out of warranty they will fix it.
Not if the user broke it. The MBP has a 15" or 17" screen, not the 13.3" you linked to.
Apple will probably charge $900. I would bet you could do it yourself for $300 or $400.

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks
ardillo9344

ardillo9344 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook White 2.0 GHz 320GB HD 2GB RAM PowerMac G4 Quicksilver 733MHz 80GB HD iPhone 3G 16GB Black

Oh, sorry for linking to the 13 inch one. If you go to ifixit.com and click on macbook pro it will show the right ones.
QUOTE Thanks
thehumble1

thehumble1 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 12" G3 ibook, 15" 1.67ghz powerbook, 15" 800mhz DVI powerbook

A screen change is a simple process and ifixit has good walk throughs, though not for LCD swaps. It's a lot more simple to pop apart the lid (display case) and replace the LCD than it is to follow the directions for replacing the entire display. Screens run from $100-700 depending on where you shop and what you want. eBay will have the cheapest prices, but will mostly be refirb/used. New will run you what is quoted above.

You'll need to find a good pictoral walk through. I just found this one... TRY THIS WALKTHROUGH and it might be exactly what you need to do the swap. I haven't had problems with static discharge with these repairs but just to be sure, ground yourself before starting, maybe touching the metal portion of a lamp or computer case, just to discharge built up static (especially if you have carpet). Go slowly and it should be easy.

As a tip: use a credit card to pop off the back of the case. Walk throughs tell you to use a "spudger" but a CC works great for this and isn't metal so it won't scrape your pretty laptop. A $12 set of computer/electronics tools helps tons. RadioShack has several sets. Make sure you tape the connecting cable after seating it in the port too, as this has some pull on it when the lid is opened/closed hundreds of times.

If you take the screen apart, you can get a model number, which will help you decrease the cost of your replacement. What I mean is, companies that say "Replacement for 1.83ghz Macbook Pro 15" Are going to charge a lot more than places selling a "Samsung LPQN154B12X1" for example. Also make sure you get a LED/CCFL depending on how your screen is lighted.

Good luck.

oh, and somebody please show me where ifixit has LCD replacement walkthroughs if they do, thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
doyler

doyler is on a distinguished road

I replaced my own macbook screen without much trouble.
I was able to buy a 13.3" LCD from ebay for $170.00 and replaced it within a hour.
The hardest part was putting the hinge/power inverter cover back on. It's a really tight squeeze.
QUOTE Thanks
Macman8807

Macman8807 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 2.4g, 2GB, 200G, 15.4

My friend had his mb screen fixed by apple for 300. With a mbp its going to run you a couple of more dollars in the end.
QUOTE Thanks
rich6490

rich6490 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 2.5ghz, 4gb/r, 200g7.2krpm

700 dollars repaired is my ACT estimate.

-Zach, A.C.T.
QUOTE Thanks
beautymarked

beautymarked is on a distinguished road

You'll need to find a good pictoral walk through. I just found this one... TRY THIS WALKTHROUGH

Hello,

I took a look at this walkthrough and it has less steps than another walkthrough that I found. I am wondering if this is all I need to do.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« trying to get this wireless... | TiBook dead_how do I wipe HD? »