Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What is the longest amount of time your MBP has been running without shutting down?
    I got this MBP a few months ago when the latest upgrade came out. I have a 2.4 GHz with still 2GB of memory. Typically I shut down every night, specifically because teh machine get so hot. I would love to let it run overnight while I do some data transfers, however I am afraid I may burn my house down.

I have two questions, please answer both unless the second one does not apply to you:

1) what is the longest amount of time you have left your MBP up and running without a shutdown?
    2) If you use an application like InsominiaX to allow the MBP to operate with a closed lid, what is teh amount of time you have let that run without a shutdown?

Thanks!

Specs:
    Macbook C2D 2GHz 2GB RAM 80GB HDD
    The grammar/spelling Nazi in me is very disappointed with you right now.

That said, I routinely leave my MB running for a week at a time and just close it or put it to sleep when it isn't being used. My current uptime is 4D 1H 46M.

You aren't going to burn your house down by leaving it on overnight.

Ha, I am pretty critical of grammar/spelling when I read other posts on message boards. I typically always spell 'the' as 'teh' due to my rapid hunt and peck style. I am very ashamed of some of my grammatical mistakes though.

Back to my question - I am not concerned about leaving it on overnight in sleep mode. I am more concerned about leaving it with active processes running, specifically Transmission.

EDIT: AngryGreek, I hope my grammar/spelling in this post meets your approval. HA!

Specs:
    PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
    Haha.

I don't have a MBP, but I do have a PB. It's never on very long because I often boot from USB/FW/ODD.

Specs:
    Macbook C2D 2GHz 2GB RAM 80GB HDD
    Quote Originally Posted by zimbu1234 View Post
    Ha, I am pretty critical of grammar/spelling when I read other posts on message boards. I typically always spell 'the' as 'teh' due to my rapid hunt and peck style. I am very ashamed of some of my grammatical mistakes though.

Back to my question - I am not concerned about leaving it on overnight in sleep mode. I am more concerned about leaving it with active processes running, specifically Transmission.

EDIT: AngryGreek, I hope my grammar/spelling in this post meets your approval. HA!
    I still doubt you would have any issues. I mean, if it doesn't catch on fire while you are running that stuff during the day, it shouldn't do so at night. Macs aren't going to suddenly become evil village-burning machines just because it is dark outside. I leave mine up with a torrent or two at night every so often, and haven't seen any adverse effects yet.

Just make sure it has decent airflow where you put it, and I don't see any issues arising from it.

Specs:
    15" MacBook Pro (Early 2008) 2.4GHz 4GB RAM running 10.5.4
    one week

Quote Originally Posted by AngryGreek View Post
    I leave mine up with a torrent or two at night every so often
    What's a torrent? I was talking about the Transmission on my car.

I see what you are talking about making sure there is the correct ventilation. On the rare occasion that I have left it on overnight, I have left it on its right side with the lid open.

Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    I got this MBP a few months ago when the latest upgrade came out. I have a 2.4 GHz with still 2GB of memory. Typically I shut down every night, specifically because teh machine get so hot. I would love to let it run overnight while I do some data transfers, however I am afraid I may burn my house down.

I have two questions, please answer both unless the second one does not apply to you:

1) what is the longest amount of time you have left your MBP up and running without a shutdown?

2) If you use an application like InsominiaX to allow the MBP to operate with a closed lid, what is teh amount of time you have let that run without a shutdown?

Thanks!
    1) I suppose you mean without letting the machine go to sleep too? If so, probably 12 hours or so. I don't really experience heat issues with it unless I'm really running something intensive on it.

2) I don't leave it running with the lid closed, period. Frankly, the lid inhibits natural heat dissipation and if Apple intended it to run while closed, they would have offered the option in Energy Saver. If I want something to run overnight, I just turn the backlight off on the display and leave the lid open. Another side benefit to doing that is that the fans don't have to work as hard, thereby lengthening their lifespan.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

Some silly questions -

1) How do I turn backlight off? InsomniaX allows you to Sleep Display which turns off the screen and the Apple logo in the back (is this the backlight?)
    2) Is sleeping the system like Sleep or Hibernate in Windows, where you wouldnt be able to run applications while in one of those modes?

Specs:
    Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
    Without shutting down/restarting but including sleeping, I've hit almost 50 days straight with my Macbook. When you don't include sleeping, I think that number hits somewhere in the 20 day range.

June 2007
    July 2009

Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Some silly questions -

1) How do I turn backlight off? InsomniaX allows you to Sleep Display which turns off the screen and the Apple logo in the back (is this the backlight?)
    Just keep pushing the brightness down key (F1) until the backlight turns off. Yes, the backlight also lights the Apple logo.

2) Is sleeping the system like Sleep or Hibernate in Windows, where you wouldnt be able to run applications while in one of those modes?
    It's more like Standby in Windows. Well, except that it actually works as intended most of the time. That is to say, the system is still turned on, but there's just enough power to keep the contents of memory working. But the major functions shut down, including the CPU. The nice thing is that it turns back on to where you were when you closed the lid, and it's available almost instantly.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

Specs:
    MacBook Pro 15.4" 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyrider007 View Post
    one week
    Likewise....I usually shut it down every weekend. Most of the time I put it to sleep.
    "To all that come to this happy place: welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past, and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future."

What's a torrent? I was talking about the Transmission on my car.

I see what you are talking about making sure there is the correct ventilation. On the rare occasion that I have left it on overnight, I have left it on its right side with the lid open.
    omg you guys dont know whAt a torrent file is??!

anyway i do the same i leave it everyday lol, untill vista just wants to restart ):

Specs:
    MBP, iPad 2 64, 2 x iPod Touch, MBA, 2 x iPhone 3g
    Personally, I often leave it on 24/7 but as I fly for a living (and it comes with me) inevitably it gets turned off.

I often leave it downloading binary files, whilst it IS warm it's never TOO warm and you are seeing the beauty of a metal shell (when attached to a wall it gets called a radiator).

I have absolutely no fears whatsoever about leaving it running. I think I have heard the fan running (just) but it's not an issue.

I found that when I switched, I was trying to FIND things to worry about (to get me to the same level of paranoia that I had with my PC). Not saying you are, but these things just seem to get on with it.

Relax and enjoy it. The only reason I cycle the power if I don't have to, is some sense of wanting the machine to set itself 'back to square one' as it were and not because the machine is showing any signs of distress.

Enjoy!
    Mac Junkie
    - MacBook Pro 2.4, 500Gb, 4Gb
    - MacBook Air (wife's), - iPad 2 64Gb
    - 2 x iPod Touch 32Gb and iPhones 3GS 32Gb

Question: do people seriously don't talk about downloading torrents?

Thread Information