New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - Replaced hard drive wondering which data recovery method i should use

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

nightwing

nightwing is on a distinguished road

Yesterday morning i recieved the dreaded flashing folder with question mark. I turn on the mac and first the logo comes then a no smoking sign (without the ciggarette) pops up then the flashing folder with question mark comes. I took it to the genius bar and the genius there tried everything. When we pulled the hard drive out of my mac and plugged it into their mac we were able to see the hard drive. When he was diagnosing it we were able to even go into the hard drive and see my folders, except we couldn't see any of the files in them.

He told me about a data recovery service but they charge huge amounts of money, he also told me about data recovery programs i can run on the hard drive.

I was thinking that because we can see the hard drive and the folders i might not have to send it off to a data recovery service. Your suggestions are well appeciated

Also he heard the drive spinning with no clicking..Someone please help
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Did he say the drive was actually bad or failing? It's possible the filesystem might just be damaged.

If it's actually faulty, I would start by replacing it. Then, pick up one of these external adapters and once you've got your system up and running again on the new drive, plug it in externally and copy whatever data you can find back to it. If that doesn't work, Paragon actually has a beta of their Rescue Kit for Mac available to Mac-Forums members that should be able to help with your issue.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
EL@PDX

EL@PDX is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15.4 MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz; 200 GB Toshiba 7k200; 2 GB stock RAM; Leopard 10.5.3

www.DriveSavers.com and talk with them, they charge a lot of money but if your data is really important then it is totally worth it.
QUOTE Thanks
dunk50

dunk50 is on a distinguished road

What would you do if it is under warranty. Apple service center is going to replace mine but won't they want to keep the bad one also?? Just how common is this folder/? hard drive failure.
QUOTE Thanks
nightwing

the guy said i needed a new drive and consequently installed it. he gave me the old one so i can try and recover stuff from it. I was just wondering that because there is no clicking and the hard drive is visible when plugged into another mac and that i can even see folders that retrieving files using paragon or the program they sell at apple would work. or would i have to shell out the money for a service to do it.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightwing View Post
there is no clicking and the hard drive is visible when plugged into another mac and that i can even see folders
If all that is true, why not just copy it off of the drive while attached to the other mac? Paying for recovery is generally extremely expensive, I recommend against it if at all possible (ie, regular backups.)

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
nightwing

i would just copy it over but i cant see anything just the folders
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightwing View Post
i would just copy it over but i cant see anything just the folders
What happens when you run Paragon Rescue Kit?

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
greco8523

greco8523 is on a distinguished road

sounds like the drive has developed bad sector on the drive, I would be careful if you are going to use data recovery software to scan the drive. If it takes longer than you expect by behaving very slowly or seems like it hangs I would say stop and send it to a data recovery company if the data is important. You might want to follow this guide if you are going to do it yourself http://www.datarecoveryadvice.org/da...overy_diy.html
QUOTE Thanks
rich6490

rich6490 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 2.5ghz, 4gb/r, 200g7.2krpm

I have to agree with what everyone here has said, only other thing I can say is invest the 300 dollars in a Time capsule haha, there well worth it when something like this happens, and you get a 802.11N router as well!

-Zach, A.C.T.
QUOTE Thanks
greco8523

greco8523 is on a distinguished road

did you get your data back? keep us updated

backup means 2 copies!!
data recovery
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Can you still get the free iPod back to school promo if you are in high school? | Safe Sleep not working »