New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Another Dual Monitor Mystery....

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

BroHaas

Okay I read the threads on Dual Monitor on iBook's and I know it has no option to set this up from the system preferences except for mirroring, but here is the thing. For some strangee reason, when I am plugged into the monitor on my desk it randomly sets up a dual desktop.

The monitor acts as the main desktop and the iBook screen ends up being the extended desktop. This started to happen when I purchased the game Black Hawk Down and had it set to a different resolution than my desktop.

It does not happen often, but when it does I am extremely pleased. So my Question is, have any of you come across this issue and if so, what triggers it so I can recrete it every time I plug into my monitor?
QUOTE Thanks
Matman34

I believe the extended monitor facility is only disabled in most macs firmware and can actually be enabled. Your game seems to be doing this temporarily. Here's a link that may help:

http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/edit...creenspanning/
QUOTE Thanks
HuMpS 97 DoHc

I installed the program thats talked about in the link above
I'm using an ibook g4 1ghz and it worked great. Right now I'm working with my ibook displaly and a 17" lcd with it being an extended desktop. When you go into the display preferences it lets you choose if you want it side to side or top to bottom and which side you want the tool bar on. Its great

Thanks for the link matman34
QUOTE Thanks
BroHaas

Thanks for the help, this is fantastic. This will really help with my research projects. Thanks again!
QUOTE Thanks
immdb

immdb will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuMpS 97 DoHc
I installed the program thats talked about in the link above
…which side you want the tool bar on. Its great

Thanks for the link matman34
Normally, the monitor where you place the menu bar becomes the startup monitor. I don't know how that would work with the iBook.
QUOTE Thanks
immdb

immdb will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook

If you put the menu bar on the second monitor will it stay ther after a restart?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« What kinda mouse do you use with your ibook? | Price points? »