New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

iBook or Powerbook

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

CJ064

CJ064 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro

I recently purchased a g3 iBook to see how i would like os X and the whole apple thing before I bought a new one and didn't like it. Well I do like it and now its time to buy a new one. I like the looks of the iBook im wondering if i should go with a powerbook though. Will the iBook run Photoshop fine. I will mostly be using photoshop, and a little bit of video stuff im not sure what a good program for video editing would be. i won't be doing anything crazy with the video stuff. If i get the iBook it would be a 14" but if i get a powerbook it would be a 12". I have a 12" iBook right now and the screen size is no problem. Also i have a nice NEC 19" lcd monitor, would i be able too hook either of these upto that as an aditional screen?
Thanks CJ
QUOTE Thanks
code777

if you are going to use Photoshop then get the Powerbook 15". iBooks are for "general" use. Programs like ProTools, Photoshop, and others that eat up HD space need to go Powerbook route
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

i agree with code777...once your into photoshop and video editing your gunna need the PB with the extra ram and hd space you can get

-chris
QUOTE Thanks
i love macs

plus i think with the powerbook u can run an extra screen. but with the ibook another screen will only mirror wat uv got on the ibook. pretty sure thats rite?
QUOTE Thanks
CJ064

I like the look of the iBooks but i guess Im going to go with a PB, now I just have to decide what size 12" or 15", if I can hook up to my monitor the 12" would probly do the trick.
QUOTE Thanks
code777

well the 15" if you are going to be doing a lot of photoshop. it has a better resolution over the 12" PB and faster processor and blah blah, if you are serious with photoshop you should probably get the 15" and spend as much money as possible.
QUOTE Thanks
BroHaas

Ummm I use Photoshop on my iBook and it works perfectly, just have at least 512 RAM.
QUOTE Thanks
dodjy001

i have tried video editing on the ibook and it really struggled.

i haven't bothered trying photoshop yet, no real point when i can us the g5 at home.
QUOTE Thanks
ravenstor

im in my final yr at a UK Uni ive used an ibook with photoshop and various video apps and had no problems, probably the PB does it a few secs faster but tbh ive had no issues.

my hons degree is in photography (fine art)
QUOTE Thanks
CJ064

im prety sure both of them will run fine. the 14" iBook and 12" Powerbook run the same processor correct? So the major difference would be video card?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iBook switches off | Just bought a 600 Mhz iBook G3 »