New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Thinking Of Getting An Ibook, But is a mac right for me?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

scoey

I know this isn't exactly the most unbiased place to post this but oh well..

Ok, I've decided to buy a laptop and I've been looking at different ones and have decided that I quite like the look of the iBook, so I'm thinking of getting one. But thats just it, I have never actually used one, I just like the look of them. Also I have a friend who doesnt actually have a mac but claims they're great, although when I asked him why he couldn't tell me ....

I'm in college but in all honesty I will probably hardly ever use the laptop for college related things. Also I have a good PC for playing games, and I'm not really that interested in playing PC games on the laptop.

So basically what I'm asking is will the iBook be able to do the following things.

1: Play DVDs well
2: Play divx movies well
3: Play good quality emulators of the snes and megadrive variety
4: Easily connect to the University wireless network

And thats basically it. Also is the Mac equivalent of Word included free or does it have to be purchased seperately.

Finally, I've never used a mac before, and to be honest I don't have any major problems with XP. Is the switch from Windows to OS X a difficult one. I experimented with using Mandrake Linux about a year ago and really didn't like it. Is OS X easier to use, in particular with regards to the installation of programs which I found to be a pain in the *** with linux.
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

1 - Should be good
2- Should work
3 - I don't know
4 - My University provides support for Mac.

A full version of Word doesn't come with an iBook, only a sample version.
QUOTE Thanks
scoey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameis
1 - Should be good
2- Should work
3 - I don't know
4 - My University provides support for Mac.

A full version of Word doesn't come with an iBook, only a sample version.
Haha wow... thats a lot of indefinites. Could someone link me to a site which nicely lays out why I might want to get a mac over a PC , in a non fanboyish way. All I keep hearing is "they don't crash" , but my PC with windows xp doesn't crash either.

For someone who doesn't use Photoshop, or any other imaging programs that people say the mac is better for, and who is quite capable when it comes to using windows, is there really any point to getting a mac?
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoey
Haha wow... thats a lot of indefinites.
thats because I don't actually have a mac but at divx.com they have a version for mac and the screen is good enough to play DVDs and DVD drives are pretty much standard.
QUOTE Thanks
saqe

i always been a pc user, and i recently bought an imac for school. it's not a harsh difference, easy to use.. u can buy it with an airport for wireless internet, ects.
QUOTE Thanks
CaptainMack

1 works just like any other dvd player
2 just fine, through quicktime
3 yes. i use macmame (isnt snes, but there a plenty that ive tryed and they work)
4 should be very easy (never done it so i cant say
QUOTE Thanks
dodjy001

i got my ibook for most of the above,
havn't got around to using thewireless network at uni yet but they offer all the support for macs.
it playsdvd's well, but i will still upgrade the ram when i get half a chance
QUOTE Thanks
Mr.Guvernment

what is your budget?
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

my school claims to not support macs....but here i am!
just ask your school if they support macs

it sounds like it will do everything you want it to do perfectly
-chris
QUOTE Thanks
scoey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Guvernment
what is your budget?
About 1100 euros really, about the price of the cheapest iBook with some extra ram bought seperately from Crucial.

Thanks for the help everyone. I'll be seeing if I can find a shop that sells one to get a demo tomorrow. But unless that's a disaster I should be ordering one in the next few days.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
BroHaas

For your SNES Emulator Question.

SNES9x works well on my iBook. No ZSNES though, but SNES9X seems to do a good job. Hope that helps.
QUOTE Thanks
scoey

Ok I'm going to be getting one of the 12' models in the next few days. Could someone recommend a cheap-ish small protective bag\sleeve to put it in. I don't want a proper laptop bag with a handle and all, just something small that will fit in a backpack and will protect the ibook.
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoey
Ok I'm going to be getting one of the 12' models in the next few days. Could someone recommend a cheap-ish small protective bag\sleeve to put it in. I don't want a proper laptop bag with a handle and all, just something small that will fit in a backpack and will protect the ibook.

I think the Shinza ZeroScock sleeve looks pretty neat, info on it can be found here: http://shinza.com/product_info.php?c...products_id=45 . A guy is selling one of the for sale part of this forum.
QUOTE Thanks
ApplejustWorks

ApplejustWorks is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD

I'd reccommend http://www.macmall.com/macmall/shop/...sp?dpno=466580

Looks nice, and displays Apple Symbol..Looks very well padded.Meant for inside a bag or backpack
QUOTE Thanks
flonejek

I use wireless pretty much every day, and panthers wireless support is great, as of yet there hasn't been a single network I haven't been able to connect too. At home I use a netgear broadband router, and compared to my mums top of the line toshiba , my iBook g4 gets quite a bit better reception
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« a year old iBook to connect with a wireless network | What kinda mouse do you use with your ibook? »