New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - Why isn't my battery charging??

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

iLindzo

iLindzo has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MBP w/Intel Core 2 Duo w/Lion, MBA w/Lion, 80GB iPod Video, 32GB iPhone 4, Two 32GB iPads

Hey all -

According to coconut battery, my computer is plugged into the wall, but not charging. Help!

Mac users swear by their computers. PC users swear at their computers.
QUOTE Thanks
iLaw

iLaw is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" (Mid 2010), iPhone 3GS

What about the battery icon on the Menu Bar? Does it indicate that the battery is charging?

iLaw
MacBook Pro 15" (Mid 2010) + White 32GB Rogers iPhone 3GS
2.66 GHz Intel Core i7, 4 GB DDR3 RAM, 500 GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive, Intel HD/512 MB GeForce 330M Graphics, Hi-Res 15" Glossy Screen, Mac OS X v10.6
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

What color is showing in the MagSafe light? Green? Amber?
QUOTE Thanks
iLindzo

iLindzo has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MBP w/Intel Core 2 Duo w/Lion, MBA w/Lion, 80GB iPod Video, 32GB iPhone 4, Two 32GB iPads

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLaw View Post
What about the battery icon on the Menu Bar? Does it indicate that the battery is charging?
I have a pic in the original post of my menu bar. The icon looks like it's charging because it has the little plug indicating that it's plugged into the wall. BUT.. the % has only gone down since my post. I've had my computer closed for the past couple hours, so it hasn't gone down considerably, but it's definitely not going up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
What color is showing in the MagSafe light? Green? Amber?
The light is green.

Mac users swear by their computers. PC users swear at their computers.
QUOTE Thanks
iLaw

iLaw is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" (Mid 2010), iPhone 3GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLindzo View Post
I have a pic in the original post of my menu bar. The icon looks like it's charging because it has the little plug indicating that it's plugged into the wall. BUT.. the % has only gone down since my post. I've had my computer closed for the past couple hours, so it hasn't gone down considerably, but it's definitely not going up.

The light is green.
Actually, the image you have in your first post shows the battery is CHARGED, not charging (the icon is a thunderbolt when charging). It looks like there is a problem with your battery controller. Your next steps of action are as follows:

1) Software Update - Apple periodically releases Battery Updates that can fix issues like this. If you haven't done a software update recently, you may want to try this.

2) Battery Calibration. See this Apple article. Follow the instructions and see if this helps.

3) Go see an Authorized Apple Service Center. If the first two steps do nothing, then bring it to an Apple Service Center, or the Apple Store. The Genius Bar at the Apple store (or the tech at the service center) will be able to tell you if this is a defect, and whether or not it can be fixed under any kind of warranty.

I hope this helps, if you have any other question, post up.

iLaw
MacBook Pro 15" (Mid 2010) + White 32GB Rogers iPhone 3GS
2.66 GHz Intel Core i7, 4 GB DDR3 RAM, 500 GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive, Intel HD/512 MB GeForce 330M Graphics, Hi-Res 15" Glossy Screen, Mac OS X v10.6
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How to | 2004 iBook G4 monitor problems »