New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

what brand of ram are you using on your powerbook

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

pkny

pkny is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: stock 17" 2.8ghz unibody mbp.

hi can anyone recommend which ram manufactorurer / brand is compatible with the current powerbooks?

thanks in advance
QUOTE Thanks
pkny

anyone? anyone?!?
QUOTE Thanks
TylerMoney

corsiar is good ram...I forget the website to go to, but someone will be able to tell you, eventually...infact, I'd like to know the site too...I can't seem to dig it out of my head...how frustrating...oh well..somone will know..but corsair is good.
QUOTE Thanks
TylerMoney

oh yeah...so, I believe the website is crucial...crucial.com

there you go.
QUOTE Thanks
General_K

Crucial did it for me.
QUOTE Thanks
starrin

mushkin for me
QUOTE Thanks
StealthMode

or go to memoryx.com as well. Seems to be about the same price as crucial though.
QUOTE Thanks
pkny

anyone use kingmax? or aware of the brand kingmax? btw besides those given brands.. do you know where would i be able to find out information about ram compatibillity with pbooks.. other than emailing the manufacturer..
QUOTE Thanks
Cloudane

Kingston, but not by choice. It's what Jigsaw provided to the insurance people after the Powerbook with Crucial RAM in it was nicked.

I've already had to replace the Kingston stick once due to instability... thankfully it has a lifetime guarantee...

Crucial.com definitely the way to go.
QUOTE Thanks
danger_boy_13

I am considering a 12" PowerBook, and I was just curious.
Would you recommend just buying the upgraded RAM from Apple when I order the PB, or just buy it with the basic RAM and buy some from Crucial to install myself? The cost is about 100 less with the Crucial option, but the cost doesn't worry me too much, just curious on opinions.

Also, how hard is it to change your RAM and it doesn't void your warranty, does it?
QUOTE Thanks
mikee81

I use Kingmax... from newegg.com (219$ for 1gb)
QUOTE Thanks
Cloudane

Definitely go for Crucial rather than wasting 100 via Apple's overpriced RAM

It's very easy to change the RAM, and no it doesn't void your warranty. All you need is a Philips size 00 screwdriver to open the trapdoor with, and the rest is fairly obvious (if not, the manual tells you in detail)
QUOTE Thanks
gesteves

I tried to buy from Crucial, but it was a pain in the *** because I'm overseas, so I ended up buying Samsung memory from Other World Computing. It arrived in 3 days and I even saved $50
QUOTE Thanks
danger_boy_13

I think when my PowerBook arrives on wednesday, I am going to order the 1 GB Kingmax from Newegg. They have a lifetime warranty, and all the reviews for use on Macs don't show any problems. Plus it is only 200 rather than 480 from Crucial.
QUOTE Thanks
Cloudane

Any with a lifetime warranty should be fine. Just don't get that "best buy" or "deal of the month" crap

My second Kingston stick is fine btw, it's nice having a stable Mac again *caresses it*
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« spinning ball at startup spins forever????? | Is this a bad time to buy a powerbook? »