New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - Black MacBook, MacBook Pro, or iMac?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ancientMac

ancientMac is on a distinguished road

Okay, so I'm looking for a really good new computer for most likely portable use (I am a student), so the iMac is probably already out of the question. My current computer is an iBook G4 (1.25GB of RAM, 80GB Hard Drive, 1.2GHz PowerPC Processor running Leopard). I was considering one of these two options:

- 13" Black MacBook (2.4GHz Intel Processor, 250GB HD, 4GB of RAM, and, obviously, Leopard) = $1700

- 15" MacBook Pro (2.4GHz Intel Processor, 250GB HD, 4GB of RAM, & Leopard) = $2700

Why are these two setups entirely identical (except for screen size and color) and yet $1000 apart in price. To me, the black MacBook obviously seems like a better deal, but is there some special difference that makes the MacBook Pro worth all that much more?

I've also heard that the finish on the MacBook Pro scratches a lot more easily than does on a regular black MacBook.

Once again, I prefer the Black MacBook due to the price, but you guys tell me what you think!
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Larger screen (also LED based), dedicated video card, aluminum construction, backlit keyboard, and that's all I can think of.

I know how you feel, the Macbook definitely felt like a better deal back when I was buying my first Mac. I settled on the black Macbook and haven't regretted the decision since.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Please do not Cross or Double post the same message in two forums. Thank you.

Also Firewire 800 Port, Real DVI Video port for two more. 15" Display Vs 13.1", Express Card Slot.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future

See, I knew I missed some more features

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kash View Post
See, I knew I missed some more features
You got the main ones though that make the real difference. Somehow I missed your larger screen one. Oh well!

The LED display is really nice. I recently got to mess with a Macbook and MBP side by side and the LED display is amazing.
QUOTE Thanks
ancientMac

Ok great. Thanks for the help.

btw: (sorry) i didn't mean to double post, i just realized that i posted it in the wrong category.
QUOTE Thanks
ogacon

ogacon has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs:  15" 2.4 MBP  iPod Classic 80 GB, Silver

What is it you are adding different to the MBP? The 250 GB HD upgrade? I got the low end MBP for 2k + tax. And you definitely should not buy RAM from Apple. Get that from a different source, you can pay $100 for 4GB or from Apple you can pay $400. I'm just curious how you have the MBP with 2.4 ghz processor to be 2700... Is that the 512 video card?

Relay For Life Support me in Relay For Life! Run by American Cancer Society. Cancer research.
What sound does your Rooster make?
QUOTE Thanks
ancientMac

Yeah the $2700 on the MBP is the price from Apple, which is why I thought it was a little pricey. The MBP comes with 2 memory slots (correct me if I'm wrong), so I could get the standard 2 GB, bring down the price considerably, and go out and by a cheaper 2GB from elsewhere, right?

That would make the MBP option much more feasible.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

I just went to the online Apple Store and configured a Macbook Pro with the specs you quoted, but with 2GB of RAM, for only $2049. Once you add in AppleCare, you get to $2398. If you're a student, then the Macbook Pro, including AppleCare, goes for only $2083.

While the Macbook Pro has two memory slots, it's going to come with 2x1GB sticks, not a single 2GB stick. So if you want 4GB, you're going to have to shell out for 2x2GB sticks. However, this will still be cheaper than paying Apple $200 to upgrade the RAM (or $180 if you're a student).

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
D.Schwartz

D.Schwartz is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: [2008 MacBook Pro 2.5Ghz,4GB Ram,250GB HD,512MB VIDEO] [16GB iPhone]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientMac View Post
Okay, so I'm looking for a really good new computer for most likely portable use (I am a student), so the iMac is probably already out of the question. My current computer is an iBook G4 (1.25GB of RAM, 80GB Hard Drive, 1.2GHz PowerPC Processor running Leopard). I was considering one of these two options:

- 13" Black MacBook (2.4GHz Intel Processor, 250GB HD, 4GB of RAM, and, obviously, Leopard) = $1700

- 15" MacBook Pro (2.4GHz Intel Processor, 250GB HD, 4GB of RAM, & Leopard) = $2700

Why are these two setups entirely identical (except for screen size and color) and yet $1000 apart in price. To me, the black MacBook obviously seems like a better deal, but is there some special difference that makes the MacBook Pro worth all that much more?

I've also heard that the finish on the MacBook Pro scratches a lot more easily than does on a regular black MacBook.

Once again, I prefer the Black MacBook due to the price, but you guys tell me what you think!
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...family/macbook

compare for yourself. I mean yeah the processor is the same, but its 144mb of video vs 256, 13 vs 15 inch monitor those 2, are about a 500 dollar diff,

<3 MAC
QUOTE Thanks
Tahiti1028

Tahiti1028 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac | 30GB iPod Video | 16GB iPod Touch

I would go with the MacBook Pro, but that is just my opinion. Definitely do NOT buy the RAM from Apple as they charge WAYYYY more than what you would pay if you installed it yourself.

My iMac: 1.6 GHz PowerPC G5, 2 GB (2x1GB) Kingston RAM, 80 GB ATA Hard Drive, DVD-ROM/CD-RW Combo Drive, 17" LCD Display, NVIDIA GeForce FX5200, Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

I'm currently in a bit of a similar dilemma myself.

I had an older iBook G4 and bought the first generation Macbook when it was released. Now two years on I'm considering selling the Macbook while it's still got some value left in it and upgrading to a newer model.

Problem is the Macbook doesn't really offer a huge performance upgrade over what I currently have. Plus I've been doing some video editing occasionally and the Macbook tends to choke fairly quickly.

Back to your dilemma: I'd probably go for the Macbook, unless you really see yourself doing a lot of gaming or video editing. It'll be a great upgrade compared with the iBook and they're great value.
QUOTE Thanks
dr_doof

dr_doof is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.4GHZ Macbook (black), OSX Leopard 10.5.5, 1GB Shuffle,4GB Nano,2GB nano 2nd generation

macbooks are a lot more economic and thir design is good. i actually prefer the smaller screens, so i reckon you should get the macbook. also consider getting the white macbook, since it's cheaper.

Chat Potatoes
QUOTE Thanks
AngryGreek

AngryGreek is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook C2D 2GHz 2GB RAM 80GB HDD

I have a Macbook right now, and want to upgrade to a pro.

Therefor, I recommend the Pro.

Realistically, it depends what you plan on doing with it. When I was in college, I specifically got a MB because it didn't have dedicated video, and it was smaller. Dedicated video would have been bad cause all I would have done is play games, and smaller was better for college cause it left room on my desk for books and such.

Now that I am done with school, the ability to play newer games seems kind of nice, so plan for the future too.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientMac View Post
Okay, so I'm looking for a really good new computer for most likely portable use (I am a student), so the iMac is probably already out of the question. My current computer is an iBook G4 (1.25GB of RAM, 80GB Hard Drive, 1.2GHz PowerPC Processor running Leopard).
My question to you is...why do you think that you need a new machine?

Your iBook G4 1.2gHz, 1.25gig of ram, 80 gig hard drive is not that bad of a machine...especially if you are mostly doing word processing, spreadsheets, e-mail, and web surfing.

Now if you want to do lots of gaming...that's a different priority.

Also, Mac OS 10.5 (Leopard)...needs more computer "horsepower" than 10.4 (Tiger). So your iBook would probably feel faster with Tiger instead of Leopard.

Food for thought,

- Nick
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Anyone get this? | Newbie Question on Hard Drive »