thornido
    Unhappy spilled coffee...useless keyboard
    I hope someone can please help me to diagnose what has gone wrong with my ibook.
    My 10 month old son managed to spill a whole cup of coffee over the top of my ibook. It was closed and off at the time. It was my wife's coffee so it was thick an syrupy. But a whole cup cascaded over the top. Now it will only turn on if it is plugged into A/C power. It boots up fine but not one key on the keyboard works. The touch pad works fine and so does the click bar. When it boots the battery icon has an X across it. It will not power on with just the battery. This is my first Mac and I am still a novice. Any help, advise or suggestions from an experienced or learned Mac user would be greatly appreciated. I was unable to find a star driver small enough to remove the cover and clean anything, so the mess has just dried up. A little liquid got into the battery compartment. Some liquid made it up and around into the sides of the keyboard, and some liquid has seeped underneath.
    What can I do?
    Thanks. -thornido

Specs:
    20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
    Quote Originally Posted by thornido
    I hope someone can please help me to diagnose what has gone wrong with my ibook.
    My 10 month old son managed to spill a whole cup of coffee over the top of my ibook. It was closed and off at the time. It was my wife's coffee so it was thick an syrupy. But a whole cup cascaded over the top. Now it will only turn on if it is plugged into A/C power. It boots up fine but not one key on the keyboard works. The touch pad works fine and so does the click bar. When it boots the battery icon has an X across it. It will not power on with just the battery. This is my first Mac and I am still a novice. Any help, advise or suggestions from an experienced or learned Mac user would be greatly appreciated. I was unable to find a star driver small enough to remove the cover and clean anything, so the mess has just dried up. A little liquid got into the battery compartment. Some liquid made it up and around into the sides of the keyboard, and some liquid has seeped underneath.
    What can I do?
    Thanks. -thornido
    The battery icon with the x means that its running strictly off of AC power with no battery which means you have a dead battery.....as for the keyboard you might need to get replaced by apple. i too am a novie so cant help too much but the battery definitely seems to be dead to me

Specs:
    MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
    Yeah... You probly need a new battery for starters.. and your coffee probly currupted a few wires .. but the keyboard will probly need to be replaced as well..

I don't recommend taking anything apart as you may void the warrenty or something and then apple wouldn't help you. So first try and get it fixed by a pro.. though it may be tempting to take off covers and such you could just make it worse

thornido
    bummer, thanks for the info though. I will proceed to find a Mac pro in this little okie town.

Thread Information