New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - Boots Into XP - doesnt give me a choice

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

oland

oland is on a distinguished road

Forgive me in advance, i have only owned a macbook pro for about a day. I loaded XP sp2 onto it using bootcamp. The installation went smoothly, i am sure that i installed on the empty partition etc. But now when i start up the macbook it just boots into windows. How the heck do i boot into leopard? Sorry if this is not posted in the correct forum either, 1st time poster here.

Thanks in advance!
QUOTE Thanks
Soulwar

Soulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5

Hold "option" or "x" during startup.

When all else fails, try everything!
The Rep System and you.
Life's a joke...If you're not laughing, then you didn't get it.

June 2008

QUOTE Thanks
oland

option button, huh. who would have thought...

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache...lnk&cd=1&gl=us
QUOTE Thanks
oland

i feel dumb, but thank you for your help sir
QUOTE Thanks
Soulwar

Soulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by oland View Post
i feel dumb, but thank you for your help sir
Never a problem. Here are some great keyboard commands. Very useful to impress your friends!

Enjoy your new MBP!

And remember, there are no dumb questions. We're all here to help!

The Rep System and you.

June 2008

QUOTE Thanks
MacBookProJoe

MacBookProJoe is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP-2.5/15.4/4G/250G/

With respect, something still isnt right. That machine SHOULD default to system 10, and NOT Windoze.

My stuff
MBP 15" | 2.5ghz(Pen) | 4GB Ram | 320GB 7200 HD | 8600GTM

160Gig iPod | 80Gig iPod | 8Gig Nan | 4Gig Nan
QUOTE Thanks
Soulwar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBookProJoe View Post
With respect, something still isnt right. That machine SHOULD default to system 10, and NOT Windoze.
Then he would need to go to System Preferences-Startup disk and make sure OS X is selected.

The Rep System and you.

June 2008

QUOTE Thanks
macwannabe

macwannabe is a jewel in the roughmacwannabe is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*

glad i am reading this now.. i would be lost... trying to soak up as much info about mac as i can b4 i get mine

Click the logo to check out my site...

"learn the basics, learn the rules, and then learn how to break them creatively.." - Phototini
QUOTE Thanks
D.Schwartz

D.Schwartz is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: [2008 MacBook Pro 2.5Ghz,4GB Ram,250GB HD,512MB VIDEO] [16GB iPhone]

Quote:
Originally Posted by oland View Post
Forgive me in advance, i have only owned a macbook pro for about a day. I loaded XP sp2 onto it using bootcamp. The installation went smoothly, i am sure that i installed on the empty partition etc. But now when i start up the macbook it just boots into windows. How the heck do i boot into leopard? Sorry if this is not posted in the correct forum either, 1st time poster here.

Thanks in advance!
never messed with bootcap, but i would imagine that its just a setup issue, check preferences, or bootcamp prefs, there might be a boot option

<3 MAC
QUOTE Thanks
dr_doof

dr_doof is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.4GHZ Macbook (black), OSX Leopard 10.5.5, 1GB Shuffle,4GB Nano,2GB nano 2nd generation

yeh it's definately a startup CHOICE. go to system preferencs as they said, but set as MAC startup default- it's more useful.

Chat Potatoes
QUOTE Thanks
CodeSamurai

CodeSamurai has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro - 15.4" 1680x1050 Antiglare - 2.7Ghz Quad Core i7 - 8GB RAM - 750GB 7200RPM HDD

I've messed with bootcamp for 2 years now, here's my explanation:

When installing windows on your partition, the first step in the process is copying essential files to your hdd. When this is done, a restart is performed so Windows can actually start installing. At this time, Windows becomes the default boot because (as most of us know) Windows requires 3 or 4 restarts before you're even able to use it properly. I think it was smart on Apple's part to make Windows the default boot for this process. It keeps it very "automated" if you will. Otherwise, you would have to hold the option key every time the windows installer wants to restart. Makes it easy. Just make sure to switch the default boot back to OSX after all is said and done.

Trent out

CodeSamurai | Facebook
Twitter >> Flickr
15.4" 2.7Ghz Quad Core i7 Macbook Pro w/ High-res antiglare screen and Nvidia 650m GT w/ 1GB VRAM
QUOTE Thanks
NPuter

NPuter is a jewel in the roughNPuter is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeSamurai View Post
I've messed with bootcamp for 2 years now, here's my explanation:

When installing windows on your partition, the first step in the process is copying essential files to your hdd. When this is done, a restart is performed so Windows can actually start installing. At this time, Windows becomes the default boot because (as most of us know) Windows requires 3 or 4 restarts before you're even able to use it properly. I think it was smart on Apple's part to make Windows the default boot for this process. It keeps it very "automated" if you will. Otherwise, you would have to hold the option key every time the windows installer wants to restart. Makes it easy. Just make sure to switch the default boot back to OSX after all is said and done.

Trent out
exactly right...

When XP is done installing, the first thing it does is restart.
If XP were not set as the default OS when setup restarts, leopard would load and not the newly-installed windows instillation.

"The forums are not only a place to have questions answered, they are a place to be part of a community..."
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Close macbook without going to hibernation mode? | Macbook Pro slow. »