New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

equvalant pc of an ibook

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Sticky is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 12" iBook G4

i want to compare my current pc with an ibook, eg the speed.spec.

what is the equvalant of a 12" ibook...?
(eg 2.4ghz?)
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

Check out this thread:
processor speed in regards to PC speed
QUOTE Thanks

thanks for that, so really it is difficult to compare.

don't suppose u could tell me whcih would be quiker, 12" ibook, 12.ghz or a p4 2.4ghz??
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickuto
thanks for that, so really it is difficult to compare.

don't suppose u could tell me whcih would be quiker, 12" ibook, 12.ghz or a p4 2.4ghz??
It really is difficult to compare, you are never going to be able to say one is always going to be faster than the other. Even on the PC platform there is never a clearly equal processor when looking at 2 different processor types of different clock speeds. For example compare a Pentium-M to a comparably priced Pentium 4-M, these processors would run at very different clock speeds and based on some bench marks you might be able to say a Pentium-M 1.6ghz is equal to a Pentium 4-M 2.6ghz, but then another benchmark might show that those aren't equal. It really depends on what you are wanting to do with the machine.

What do you want out of a laptop?
QUOTE Thanks

surf net, do work (eg write up stuff, presentation stuff, edit pics)
store music on, stuff like that, i wantit to run well, no waiting around as it loads up stuff, no crashing....
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

For that stuff I bet you would be perfectly content with a 1.2Ghz iBook.
QUOTE Thanks
Computer.Geek

Computer.Geek is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13.3" 2.26 GHz MBP, 2GB RAM, 640GB HD

I just got an ibook and i am a little suprised at how i do notice the speed difference between my p4 2.0 vs my ibook g4 1.2 ghz. in terms of loading websites i don't see a major difference in loading but the one thing i do notice is how much faster it is to switch between programs and click on things in windows xp. not to say it's significant but is an adjustment i am getting used to. all in all however, i will not be shy to admit that i feel a p4 is quicker than this g4 processor b/c i did bump on my ram to 768 and still find it a little slow. however, i am willing to deal with it b/c OS X is so much easier to use and i find i do spend more time using the computer for what i need rather than having to tinker with this and that in xp.
QUOTE Thanks

o rite, thanks for that
QUOTE Thanks
Mojo027

Mojo027 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iBook 12", 1.33GHz G4, 1GB DDR400, 32MB Radeon 9550, 80GB HD, OSX 10.4.9

Desktop performance, probably a 2.4ghz Northwood Pentium 4 or better.
Gaming performance, probably a 1.7ghz Willamette Pentium 4.
Adobe PS, probably a 3.0ghz Northwood Pentium 4 or better.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« playing dvds in ibook...kinda glitchy.... | Dock disappearing »