New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

basic newb questions

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

UnderOath

okay - my PC's in my home network run MSN Premium 9 - obviously the Macs run Safari. My question is: will i be able to run safari with the dsl router that i currently have on my server PC?

I also want to be able to run messenger programs (msn, aim)

i will be able to do all this right? im not worried about losing msn, just wondering if i can access internet thru safari with the router that we have on the PC... im not sure if this makes sense.. hopefully it will.
QUOTE Thanks
shaun89

shaun89 will become famous soon enough

From the DSL modem (or router) isnt there a network cable running from that to the PC? You should just be able to run another cord from your router, or moden right to the mac. I think it should configure the internet its self. Im jsut guessing form what i heard... i dont have a mac... good luck!
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

A router is a router, as long as it has an ethernet plug in it, it'll probably work.
QUOTE Thanks
m1k

Quote:
okay - my PC's in my home network run MSN Premium 9 - obviously the Macs run Safari. My question is: will i be able to run safari with the dsl router that i currently have on my server PC?

I also want to be able to run messenger programs (msn, aim)

i will be able to do all this right? im not worried about losing msn, just wondering if i can access internet thru safari with the router that we have on the PC... im not sure if this makes sense.. hopefully it will.
Hey,

Yeah, you just connect your router and your Mac with an ethernet cable, and your Mac does the rest. It doesn't matter what you use on your Windows PC. I run my DSL router through a wireless router, and then back to the computer, and internet works on my PC and on my Mac. Easy as pie

MSN has a chat client for Mac OS X that you have to download, it's quite good. As for AIM, OS X comes with iChat, which allows you to add AIM contacts. It's excellent.

Your internet should work fine on both computers, Macs rock!

Good luck with your new iBook, they rock!
QUOTE Thanks
UnderOath

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1k
Hey,

Yeah, you just connect your router and your Mac with an ethernet cable, and your Mac does the rest. It doesn't matter what you use on your Windows PC. I run my DSL router through a wireless router, and then back to the computer, and internet works on my PC and on my Mac. Easy as pie

MSN has a chat client for Mac OS X that you have to download, it's quite good. As for AIM, OS X comes with iChat, which allows you to add AIM contacts. It's excellent.

Your internet should work fine on both computers, Macs rock!

Good luck with your new iBook, they rock!
yeah that's what i figured.. i knew i could connect it directly with the ethernet, but i was wondering if i could do it wirelessly? i didnt want to be confined to the router...
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderOath
yeah that's what i figured.. i knew i could connect it directly with the ethernet, but i was wondering if i could do it wirelessly? i didnt want to be confined to the router...

Is your router a wireless router? If it is then you will have no problem getting a mac to work with it as long as it is 802.11b or 802.11g. Apple doesn't use some wierd proprietary wireless card, it is all just 802.11g which is backwards compatible with 802.11b, both very widely used stadards.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Yes, wireless is ludicrously simple on the Mac. If you are set up to have your router assign IPs on your network, just select Airport and DHCP in the Macs network control panel and you'll be good to go.

QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

" Apple doesn't use some wierd proprietary wireless card,"

Actually the internal card on newer macs is a proprietary form-factor. You can't put a airport extreme card in your Dell for example..

But the technology is standard, which means all cards work together using standard protocols.

So for the original question: Yes it will work.
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptmunich
Actually the internal card on newer macs is a proprietary form-factor. You can't put a airport extreme card in your Dell for example..

Yeah, I guess most laptop parts are non-standard if you think about it, but I was really just refering to the fact that apple's wireless card use the 801.11 standard.
QUOTE Thanks
UnderOath

thanks all. yeah im just running a wireless-enabled router, so im thinking by all of your comments that my new addition should be ready to go! thanks for the help everybody.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Use Pbook as 2nd display to Win XP PC | 3 month and already killed »