New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Ahh.. my CD-RW got stuck.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Toanjii

Hi,

I burnt a cd-rw from my pc. I must admit the disk is old and a bit scratched. However, the PC reported burn successful.

When I put it in my drive and tried to copy the mp3 files on it to my desktop, it spun fast, then slow and then told me there was an error with parts of the data (code 36).

Then I tried ejecting it. The CD-RW icon disappeared from the desktop but disk didn't come out.

I tried to restart the machine but it got stuck at the screen where the dock and finder is gone, and there's a grey transparent layer over the top of the wallpaper with the spinning "Mexican-wave" dashes.

I waited for 5 mins and decided to hold the power button to turn it off. When turning back on, I held the eject button and the disk came out (THANKFULLY!!).

Was what I did harmful to my system? Could a scratched/corrupted CD cause that much problem?

Has anyone had a similar problem?

Thanks heaps in advance.

Toan.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

That sounds like the start up screen.

If it is gray an Apple in the center of the screen and below it there is a circle made up of dash lines that go on and off as if going in a circle. Then that is normal.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
Toanjii

hi,
it wasn't the startup screen. it was my custom wallpaper not the grey screen with the apple logo. but it does have the spinning circle of dashes. this is before the machine actually turns off.

does this change the situation?

Thanks,

Toan.
QUOTE Thanks
pkny

pkny is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: stock 17" 2.8ghz unibody mbp.

i've heard some pplz just turning off the laptop and well.. carefully holding the laptop turning it over (slot facing ground) and just carefully carefully shake it.. and let gravity do its work to drop the cd out
QUOTE Thanks
pkny

pkny is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: stock 17" 2.8ghz unibody mbp.

whoops n.m i read your disk came out ><
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« PowerBook USB Waking?!? | can you mix and match memory? »