New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Do ibooks crash often?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

crispeto

I've had occasional crashes with my winxp laptop and desktop. I've heard macs are hard to crash. Have any of you had many freeze ups?
QUOTE Thanks
mig.gentry

mig.gentry will become famous soon enough

Only crashes i've had were due to cheap and nasty RAM, keep it kosher and you'll be fine.
QUOTE Thanks
m1k

The only crash I've ever had was with Word 2k4, which is by Microsoft. Stay away from Office 2k4 suite and your Mac shouldn't ever crash.

Don't listen to Absolute Zero, he's always high on something.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

I've had mine for about 4 months now it's NEVER crashed....

QUOTE Thanks
UnderOath

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss
I've had mine for about 4 months now it's NEVER crashed....
way to knock on wood! I'm so excited about getting away from the blue screen you have no idea.
QUOTE Thanks
Computer.Geek

Computer.Geek is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13.3" 2.26 GHz MBP, 2GB RAM, 640GB HD

To be fair, I just got an ibook after being an exclusive PC user for the last 7 years. XP is pretty stable and if anything software crashes but not the OS. I have already had programs crash on this guy. Nothing major but not surprising either.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Let me add that I have had Apps crash or lock up, but nothing that has brought the whole OS down. That has really only happened twice on Desktop, and both times it was a profile problem.

QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Computer.Geek
XP is pretty stable and if anything software crashes but not the OS. .

I concur, if you have quality hardware and all the latest updates, XP is pretty stable.
QUOTE Thanks
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1k
Don't listen to Absolute Zero, he's always high on something.
Well look at this. I don't say a thing, don't show up for days, and already you are telling people not to listen to what I say, when I don't even comment. Just go away if you don't like me, k? k.

And for the record, I have never been high on anything. I am against drugs/alcohol. I was high once, I inhaled too much of wallpaper paste fumes when doing an art project, as well as a few other kids... it wasn't fun.
QUOTE Thanks
ChicoWeb

My Apples crash more than my PC.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

My iBook has seriously crashed (i.e. kernel panic) twice since I got it (june '04)

Several times apps have unexpectedly quit on me, but then you just have to restart the app..

My XP machine was desperately needing a fresh reinstall when I switched, it constantly kept on crashing my large school assignments, it was so annoying that I actually went and installed linux & openoffice to finish the assignment...
QUOTE Thanks
mangoSharingan

OK, don't scare me guys. I going to be ordering an Apple iBook 12" 1.2Ghz soon. I'm gonna stick some quality Crucial RAM in there, not some cheap generic one. Surely these crashes are just the usual ones like on Windows XP where you have too many programs running for example and one slows down and the only option is to reboot? I hope it's not to do with the OS or anything because I really do not want to be forced to get a Windows laptop (which I'll dual-boot with Linux anyways).
QUOTE Thanks
Computer.Geek

Computer.Geek is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13.3" 2.26 GHz MBP, 2GB RAM, 640GB HD

i really wouldn't worry too much about crashes on an ibook. I think nowadays both mac and windows have come to a point where they are fairly stable in both regards. always expect the worse and save your work. the thing with technology is that you just cannot trust it to be completely reliable. i really wouldn't worry about it too much. Just get the ibook. I'm happy and getting more and more into it.
QUOTE Thanks
mangoSharingan

Well, I just hope that I will NEVER have to send back my iBook to have it repaired because it would be a pain in the *** and I can't be bothered to buy that Apple care thing anyways.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Naw, don't worry about the iBook crashing.

The whole mumbo-jumbo further up about kernel panics and such isn't as bad as it sounds...

Your iBook WILL crash at some point in time. There, I've said it, that's out...

But so will any computer system you own. Some crash more than others. XP and OSX are both fairly stable systems nowadays, although in my experience (!!!) XP tends to become buggier with time, meaning your installation becomes bogged down and needs to have a fresh installation to get it up to speed.

I haven't noticed that with OS X yet. It still feels as fast as when I got it...
So to sum up: Both crash from time to time, OS X installations age better and are thus generally less crash prone over long periods of time. (IN MY EXPERIENCE)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Questions about the iBook, is it realy so great? | External DVD burner question(s) »