New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

What kind of ram did you put in your ibook?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Computer.Geek

Computer.Geek is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13.3" 2.26 GHz MBP, 2GB RAM, 640GB HD

I was just wondering for all you ibookers how much ram you have in your ibook and what brand you purchased. Secondly, does anyone have any horror or success using generic brands? What makes ram specific to apple? I've followed links provided by you guys to search for ram. There is this one site that also lists other vendors who have the same ram based on spec but isn't apple certified, am i taking a risk on my ibook using it?
QUOTE Thanks
m1k

Well, I have a PowerBook, not an iBook, but...

I have 512MB in it, 256 came with it and I bought an additional 256 from Apple. It works just fine (no overheating, etc.).

I've heard some good stuff about Crucial, and Kingston is definitely awesome. And of course Apple...
QUOTE Thanks
Desolate One

I haven't gotten my RAM stick yet but I have a friend that's been using everything but Windows for as long as I can remember and he recommended Crucial. Said it's never failed him in his PCs (*nix systems) or his Macs, iBook included. I'm going for Crucial when I get mine.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Same here: It isn't that crucial kensington etc use 'special' apple specific RAM.

It's more a case of generic RAM sometimes having quality issues.
These slight problems might not affect all generic RAM, but if you get a bad stick, then it can cause your computer to freeze and have all sorts of stability issues.

The more expensive RAM by the mentioned suppliers is generally more reliable, that's all...
QUOTE Thanks
Computer.Geek

Computer.Geek is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13.3" 2.26 GHz MBP, 2GB RAM, 640GB HD

what are the issues that occur using generic ram? the ones i have heard of include overheating and computer freezing. is it really possible to actually damage the computer using ram that may have quality issues? The one I am looking @ is Kingmax. I e-mailed their support and they said it was okay to use but when i mailed him about more info he didnt reply.
QUOTE Thanks
code777

the same day i bought my iBook i asked apple to put in another 256 so 512 total. For what i do its plenty. If you do any serious photoshop, protools, and the such you'll need more (and a larger HDD) but 512 is the minimum and all computers should come with 512 standard (yeah right).

I have the overpriced Apple RAM but if you get Crucial and Kingston you should be fine.
QUOTE Thanks
colday

The day I got my iBook I bought a 512mb stick of Kingston "value ram". It works great. I've been using it hours each day without a hitch.

I just copied over 2,000 digital photos from my PC, and can browse through them in iPhoto just about as quick as on my P4 3.0 PC.

I too obsessed over this issue, but decided to take a chance. I'm glad I did.

Steve
OldManCompute
QUOTE Thanks
code777

there is one person i know with an iBook 12" that upgraded with "aftermarket" RAM and had many probs (switched it to Apple RAM) but this is the only person i know that has had any problem - i guess I felt better buying Apple RAM but I could have saved a ton if i went aftermarket....
QUOTE Thanks
UnderOath

i just got my iBook, but i used Crucial. 512.
QUOTE Thanks
x-kid

I just got my ibook last week. I purchased a stick of Kingmax 512mb to go with it. It's been a week now and so far no problems yet. This is my first mac and I'm loving OS X
QUOTE Thanks
crisrose

i bought 1024mb (1Gb) chip from crucial to max my 12" ibook G4 out at 1280mb RAM.

Boy has it ever made a difference..... !!

A ***** to fit though, you have to push a lot harder than you might think
QUOTE Thanks
ByzantineRemnant

ByzantineRemnant will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacPro, MBP C2D, iMac G4

^^Where did you buy that ram, and how much was it? I am looking to do the same when I recieve my ibook, I want it maxed. I do notice that you are in the UK though, does anyone know a good place to get Mac Ram? Can it use regular ol PC notebook ram, as long as it is DDR 266?
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenredfield
^^Where did you buy that ram, and how much was it? I am looking to do the same when I recieve my ibook, I want it maxed. I do notice that you are in the UK though, does anyone know a good place to get Mac Ram? Can it use regular ol PC notebook ram, as long as it is DDR 266?
I think there are other issues to be considered such as voltage, size, pins etc.

Easiest way to find what you need is to use the Crucial memory selector at www.crucial.com, which will show you the right ram for your machine...
QUOTE Thanks
soulreaver99

soulreaver99 will become famous soon enough

Just installed 256MB PC2700 of PNY RAM into my iBook G4. Works perfectly. It was an open item so it came out to 19.99 after rebate. Sweet deal.

Macbook Pro 15" 2011 | Intel Core i7 2.2ghz Quad Core | 8GB RAM | 500GB HDD | Mac OS X (Snow Leopard)
iPhone 4 32GB | iPad 2 16GB | MacBook Air 11" Ultimate
visit the geeks office
QUOTE Thanks
ByzantineRemnant

ByzantineRemnant will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacPro, MBP C2D, iMac G4

anyone know anything about www.coastmemory.com?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iBooks display warped? | Just bought iBook, now what? »