Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Apple Notebooks (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-notebooks/)
-   -   Please Help! My MBP Was Soaked in Water! (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-notebooks/107264-please-help-my-mbp-soaked-water.html)

Skyrider007 05-05-2008 10:15 AM

Please Help! My MBP Was Soaked in Water!
 
:Grimmace:
My MBP was inside a messenger bag and the (tap) water bottle cap got loose and guess what, water flooded the 1/3 bottom of my bag (and yes, the MBP was in it).

The MBP was closed in standby mode, it was kept inside a foam-thingy case which got soaked as well. I have an iSkin ProTouch Keyboard cover so I think water didn't get intside the keyboard.

I immediately took out the battery and drained water out of my MBP. I also pressed the power button for 8 seconds after taking the battery out (as t his turns off all the electiric circuit???) The water got inside the vents (below the screen hinge). The top part of the laptop (DVD drive) and keyboard was dry and not affected by this accident.

I called AppleCare and they told me there's nothing they can do but advise me the nearest Apple Store where I have to take my MBP in. Now, I don't want to do this yet as I've heard successful stories from people who spilled water on their laptops and wait a few days for it to dry.

It's not just the laptop that got soaked but the power adapter as well. Now my MBP is sitting on my desk with the battery out and the power adapter separated (unplugged, ofcourse).

I really am not in the position to buy a new laptop or cover the cost of motherboard replacement etc. Is there anything else that I can do to make sure that my MBP will come back to life without any further issues?

I am going to let the MBP dry for 3 days (is this long enough?).

Thank you for any help. I am in absolute shock at the moment.

louishen 05-05-2008 10:23 AM

I think you have done all you can

can you lift the keyboard off to get some more dry air in there
http://www.takeitapart.net/archives/macbook-pro/

Leave it a while and see, then come back here

Sherman Homan 05-05-2008 10:25 AM

Quote:

I immediately took out the battery and drained water out of my MBP. I also pressed the power button for 8 seconds after taking the battery out (as t his turns off all the electiric circuit???)
Oh boy. I wouldn't have touched the power button, just pulling the battery would have shut things down completely. You simply can't know what damage has happened until you try to power it back up. But that means several days of warm, dry air, prayers, more warm dry air and try to take it apart as much as you can.
Go here:
http://ifixit.com for great take down directions.
Oh, and more prayers!

safarisurfer 05-05-2008 12:02 PM

what a horrible accident. :(

sorry for your loss

jughead1986 05-06-2008 01:03 PM

Yeah, I was running with a backpack full of beers with my macbook, I tripped and they broke SOAKING my macbook. I even turned it on to see if it would work, it did, but only for a few seconds. My macbook wouldn't turn on for months, around the third month I was curious if the charger light was still flashing green, to my surprise it turned orange, I didn't waist over a thousand dollars after all. I was just working on a school project about an hour ago, and I dropped a full bottle of Gatorade which leaked all over macbook. I didn't turn my macbook off, I just grabbed a hair dryer and it works great now. SO.. if you have half my luck your MBP will be fine.

Skyrider007 05-06-2008 02:19 PM

Thank you for the lucks, I really need them.

It's been 30 hours (one day and a half) since the accident and I have left it on my desk near the window (very sunny day today). Do you guys think this is long enough or should I wait until Thursday then try turning it on?

Sherman Homan 05-06-2008 02:21 PM

Too soon.
How much of it have you taken apart?

Skyrider007 05-06-2008 02:25 PM

I've taken the battery out (ofcourse) and the RAM compartment*. The water just got through the screen hinge area though. I had an iSkin Protouch Keyboard silicone thingy and when I inspected it after the accident the keyboard seems to be dry.

Do you think waiting until Thursday afternoon is long enough? The spill happend on Monday at 1pm.


* Water did not get anywhere near the battery or the RAM compartment

The following diagram shows where the water has been on the laptop

Quote:

__________________________
: Super Drive HD :
: :
: :
: :
: :
: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx :
: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx :
------------------------------
SCREEN HINGE

x = water

bryphotoguy 05-06-2008 02:26 PM

That Crystals kitty litter is made of that stuff that soaks up moisture. I forget what it's called but it comes with new shoes and clothes. Buy some of that and store the two in a sealed box. It could suck out any excess water.

Three days seems ok but if it was mine, I'd wait a week.

uberlinux 05-06-2008 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bryphotoguy (Post 649655)
That Crystals kitty litter is made of that stuff that soaks up moisture. I forget what it's called but it comes with new shoes and clothes.

Silicon desiccant.

I hope you took it apart, and there's no way I'd turn it back on in only 3 days.

Skyrider007 05-06-2008 03:23 PM

how long do u reckon i should leave it to dry? i am now thinking one week.

here's the weather condition at my location: Accuweather Report

the weather has been perfect lately (around 20c sunny all day long).

cwa107 05-06-2008 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uberlinux (Post 649678)
Silicon desiccant.

I hope you took it apart, and there's no way I'd turn it back on in only 3 days.

Agreed - the longer you wait, the better. Your patience will pay off.

Skyrider007 05-06-2008 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jughead1986 (Post 649606)
Yeah, I was running with a backpack full of beers with my macbook, I tripped and they broke SOAKING my macbook. I even turned it on to see if it would work, it did, but only for a few seconds. My macbook wouldn't turn on for months, around the third month I was curious if the charger light was still flashing green, to my surprise it turned orange, I didn't waist over a thousand dollars after all. I was just working on a school project about an hour ago, and I dropped a full bottle of Gatorade which leaked all over macbook. I didn't turn my macbook off, I just grabbed a hair dryer and it works great now. SO.. if you have half my luck your MBP will be fine.

Thank you! Your quote lifted me up. I've been so depressed lately without my MBP. I shall try my best not to touch it until next Monday (exactly one week after the accident) and ............................... hopefully it'll come back to life. :Oops:

Skyrider007 05-06-2008 04:22 PM

By the way is it safe if I use a product like WD40 and spray it inside my MBP to displace water and dislodge water deposits etc.? Will it smell bad and cause any problem etc?

cwa107 05-06-2008 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyrider007 (Post 649728)
By the way is it safe if I use a product like WD40 and spray it inside my MBP to displace water and dislodge water deposits etc.? Will it smell bad and cause any problem etc?

I don't know whether WD40 is conductive, but I would certain not spray it on or around any electronics. Oil and electronics generally don't get along :)

Just let it dry out, I'd wait until Friday at the earliest and then give it a shot.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:11 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.