New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - Please Help! My MBP Was Soaked in Water!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Skyrider007

Skyrider007 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro (Early 2008) 2.4GHz 4GB RAM running 10.5.4

Thanks cwa107. I'll try my best not to touch my MBP until Monday to give it a full week to dry. The humidity here is like 60-70% and temperature 20-23c though, very fortunate for this situation - lol.
QUOTE Thanks
askme233

askme233 is on a distinguished road

I have been down this path a few times. I recommend taking it apart as much as possible (def keyboard, and idealy case) and let a hairdryer on low heat run directly into different parts of the the case for several hours each. The dryer air is much dryer than your house air and the force gets into crannies better. better than waiting for days.

You are probably ok.
QUOTE Thanks
kkelly122

kkelly122 is a jewel in the roughkkelly122 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP l iPhone l iPod

the same exact thing happened to me that happened to you. i was sitting at a table and a friend knocked over a glass of water which got into the vent under the screen. the screen flickered then went black within a second. i immediately pulled the power cord and battery out and let it sit for about a day over the heater duct in my house (it was winter). after a day of this it turned on like nothing happened. hope the same goes with you. good luck with it.
QUOTE Thanks
Skyrider007

Thank you everyone for your positive inputs. It has been about four days since the spillage and I have tried turning my MBP on today. Here's what happend:

1. heard the Apple start-up chime
2. Screen turned on (very dark), saw the Apple logo
3. screen went blank
4. screen appeared white bright
5. screen started flashing
6. i saw trace of water

so i tried connecting it to an external monitor, to my surprise it worked.

i guess the screen is messed up but the machine itself is okay.

I called AppleCare UK and they estimated the cost of repair to be an outrageous £750 (US$1,500) and will take TWO weeks to repair.

I can't justify myself paying that much to replace the screen and can't wait two weeks (i have important work to do). I am just going to keep my current MBP and connect it to an external screen when I get home or get it cleaned up at some computer repair shop.

So........ after begging my parents... they are willing to give me one last chance to buy a new MBP at their costs.

I have decided for the mid-range model 2.5GHz 15". Apple UK offer an academic price at about £1,400 (US$2,800) including AppleCare. I will surely buy additional accidental damage insurance.

What do you guys think about this particular MBP? Is it nearly the end of its cycle (i.e. new MBP coming out soon (within a week or two???)?? I really need to new laptop right now.
QUOTE Thanks
PerryLynch

PerryLynch has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro 4GB

Do NOT spray any WD40 on it. The oils will contaminate your system and cause eventual corrosion of the motherboard.

At this point, what I would do is this: Get a box fan - like the type we used to use in our windows before air conditioning became the norm, and a couple of books or other items that can be used to prop it up off the floor.

Lay the props on the floor, so that they will keep the box fan off the floor and allow air to flow up. Lay the box fan on the props so that it blows the air UP, and then set the fan on medium or high speed, depending on how much of the noise it makes you can tolerate. Then, open the MBP as wide as you can. Perhaps you can find some supports to use, to keep the lid and case in a stable position. If you can, open it up and lay it across the top of the box fan, so that the screen and keyboard are facing down (imagine a tent).

This way, air is getting into the MBP via the superdrive slot, and the keyboard and speaker grills. Let air flow through that setup, for as long as you can tolerate -2 days, at least.

After you've spent 48 hours drying it, Keep your fingers crossed. Pray if you believe. Power it up first on battery only, then on power supply.

Disclaimer: I've never done this to an MBP. But I've done it to other wet electronics with about a 75% success rate.

Perry M Lynch, CISSP CISA
Mac Newbie, Security not-so-newbie
QUOTE Thanks
tatt001

tatt001 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook1.83GHzC2D 4GB Ram 320GB HDD DL Superdrive iMac C2D 2GHz 3GB Ram 1TB HDD DL Superdrive

You can get WD40 pens, kind of like a highlighter pen.
QUOTE Thanks
Tanner31593

Tanner31593 has a spectacular aura about

I have one of those WD40 pens. Works great for those squeaky desk drawers.
MacBook Pro? Um, I don't know. Sounds risky though!
I put WD40 on my trumpet once, a tiny bit. Smelled it for weeks. Others did too.

So sorry about your MBP! Accidents are horrible.
Oh the guilt.
Good thing I only have old crappy stuff if I soaked it I wouldn't be horribly upset!
QUOTE Thanks
Tanner31593

Tanner31593 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by jughead1986 View Post
Yeah, I was running with a backpack full of beers with my macbook, I tripped and they broke SOAKING my macbook.

UMMMMMMMMMMMMMM..........WTF?

I'm....sorry?

Interesting.
I love weird stores like these.
Interesting.....

(last post was my 800th )
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyrider007 View Post
Thank you everyone for your positive inputs. It has been about four days since the spillage and I have tried turning my MBP on today. Here's what happend:

1. heard the Apple start-up chime
2. Screen turned on (very dark), saw the Apple logo
3. screen went blank
4. screen appeared white bright
5. screen started flashing
6. i saw trace of water

so i tried connecting it to an external monitor, to my surprise it worked.

i guess the screen is messed up but the machine itself is okay.
It could be the inverter, the flex cable or the logic board. Tough call on this one.

Quote:
I called AppleCare UK and they estimated the cost of repair to be an outrageous £750 (US$1,500) and will take TWO weeks to repair.
That is a bit much. Have you checked with other Apple-authorized service providers? I'm not familiar with those that are in the UK, but I'd imagine there's got to be an alternative to sending it to Apple.

Quote:
I can't justify myself paying that much to replace the screen and can't wait two weeks (i have important work to do). I am just going to keep my current MBP and connect it to an external screen when I get home or get it cleaned up at some computer repair shop.
Hmmm... I don't know that I'd use it, even if an external screen works, especially if you still see evidence of water - it really hasn't been that long. I don't think anyone recommended trying it before Friday.

Quote:
So........ after begging my parents... they are willing to give me one last chance to buy a new MBP at their costs.

I have decided for the mid-range model 2.5GHz 15". Apple UK offer an academic price at about £1,400 (US$2,800) including AppleCare. I will surely buy additional accidental damage insurance.

What do you guys think about this particular MBP? Is it nearly the end of its cycle (i.e. new MBP coming out soon (within a week or two???)?? I really need to new laptop right now.
Tough to say as Apple is super-secretive about new product releases. What I always say is buy the machine you need when you need it. It will continue to do the things you bought it to do long after a new model comes out.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Skyrider007

Thanks again cwa107 for your advice. Sorry about the *'s (i really am in a bad mood at the moment).

I guess I'll just have to buy a new MBP (changed my mind to the lower-end 2.4GHz model now since I don't need the extra power and my broken SR2.4GHz model worked perfectly for me).

I notice you have the latest 2.4GHz MBP in your signature, how has it been performing for you?

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyrider007 View Post
Thanks again cwa107 for your advice. Sorry about the *'s (i really am in a bad mood at the moment).

I guess I'll just have to buy a new MBP (changed my mind to the lower-end 2.4GHz model now since I don't need the extra power and my broken SR2.4GHz model worked perfectly for me).

I notice you have the latest 2.4GHz MBP in your signature, how has it been performing for you?

Thanks
It's great, haven't found anything that doesn't run the way I want it to.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
theonegod

theonegod has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro

You have not waited long enough. You said yourself you saw water trace when you turned it on last. Wait LONGER. and you seem to keep ignoring the people who tell you to take it apart and dry it out with a hair dryer or something more then just sitting sitting near a window.
QUOTE Thanks
skaheadpunk

skaheadpunk has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule

I second waiting longer. Sealed container and Silica also sounds like a good idea. I've never had a totally soaked mac, but I spill on it quite often, and my mobile's still ok after being dropped into a toilet TWICE. It's all a matter of time. You won't know if it's really screwed for at least another week or two.

I dunno if the KRCS store in Leicester is your nearest, if you take it there they'll probably send it off to their repair place...

On the other hand if you're getting a new one I'll happily purchase the old one - and oddly enough I'm only a couple of miles away...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 15" 2.4 ghz or 2.5ghz | Hissing from left speaker »